How to prep new cylinders for assembly

More
29 Dec 2009 10:39 #341085 by fordtruck
How to prep new cylinders for assembly was created by fordtruck
What is the preferred method for cleaning freshly bored and honed cylinders? I have a new parts washer that my wife gave to me for Christmas. Is that ok to use? I've also read of using carb/brake cleaner.

Also, should I clean new pistons before installation? I was reading in my Clymer shop manual and it states to use moly grease on new pistons. I don't remember reading about greasing the pistons on this forum. What do you guys do? Grease them, oil them, leave them dry?

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2009 10:54 #341087 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic How to prep new cylinders for assembly
I'd say if the shop doing the work did not clean and oil the cylinders, then go ahead and throughly remove all traces of swarf,chips and oil.

To reduce the chance of surface corrosion, as soon as possible after the cylinders are dry, apply some light oil with a rag. Compressed air or a leaf blower will speed the drying process.

As for the pistons, again some light oil applied with a new paint brush should work. A newly rebuilt engine will smoke until the parts "bed in", so don't be surprised when you first start it up.

Cover the cylinder and pistons so the oil won't attract dirt/dead bugs.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
29 Dec 2009 11:46 #341092 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic How to prep new cylinders for assembly
you cant get one clean enough, prio to assembly in my opinion, but a good scrubbing with solvent followed by soap and water, blow dry and then light oil the cyl, if you are not going to assemble right then,, wrap it in saran wrap until you are ready.
I would clean the pistons then install the rings, you can use a light grease on the piston pin or if you are putting it back together right then, oil works fine.
Also make sure to lube the valves and guides, they are the last ones to get oil when you do a start up

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
29 Dec 2009 11:59 #341093 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic How to prep new cylinders for assembly
here we go again! :woohoo: clean up the bores with carb cleaner and hanfulls of white toilet paper.toilet paper doesnt leave lint in bores like shop rags.keep spraying down the bore and scrubbing with toilet paper till you get no more black crud,this will burn up a lot of paper! :laugh: for the pistons id just spray em down with carb cleaner and air dry,i install pistons and rings in bore dry with no oil. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.