Clutch plate question

More
27 Dec 2009 15:18 #340862 by fordtruck
Clutch plate question was created by fordtruck
In the next couple of weeks I will be tearing down the motor on my 77 KZ1000 to rebuild it with a 1075 kit. While I have it apart I plan on pulling the clutch and inspecting it. It's not slipping now, but I'm going to measure the friction discs to see if they are within spec. I've read about people sandblasting the metal plates to knock off the glaze. I don't have access to a sandblaster, so what is the next best thing to use on them?

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2009 15:44 #340865 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Clutch plate question
i would venture a high count sand paper or a 3m scotchbrite.....if you plan on keeping bike , i would get new fibers and metals and be done with it.....i think i am going to go with the 4/4 redline offers....4 stock fibers and 4 barnetts.....i have had barnetts before and they hold like a sombitch although a little less than smooth compared to stock as far as engagement......i have all new metals and fibres that have 1k on em, but i get a little bit of slippage during the first couple of launches into the ride....after that all is well.....on my gs1150 it was the clutch hub.....gotta peek around in there.......just my .02.....

More
27 Dec 2009 15:58 #340867 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Clutch plate question
Advice provided to me... stay with OEM plates and springs... ~ $120 for friction & steel plates and springs ;)

I'm now using Synthetic oil, no issues what so ever....

OMR

In case you need it.... For the KZ900 but should be close or exactly the same....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
27 Dec 2009 16:32 #340870 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch plate question
OMR wrote: "Advice provided to me... stay with OEM plates and springs... ~ $120 for friction & steel plates and springs
I'm now using Synthetic oil, no issues what so ever..."

Ditto here. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Dec 2009 17:27 #341138 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Clutch plate question
For years I have taken clutch apart and after wiping off the oil and drying, I take emery cloth to the steels to get glase off. Usually shows sanding marks depending on roughness of paper. Use finer paper. I also use emery cloth on the fibers til they get a dull look which is taking the glaze off. Had bike slip clutch really bad and after doing this, hooked like a bitch! Doesn't really take alot of work but really makes the clutch work better. This isn't rocket science here. Just wipe them off, de-glaze them and re-install. Pay attention how they come out as the steels have a sharp edge on one side and a rounded side. Can't remember right now which side goes in first though, but it does make a difference over time. Will work either way but the correct way is better as the sharp edge doesn't slide as easy as the rounded edge. Some guys will put in heavier springs for a slipping clutch but unless you are pushing massive amounts of HP, you shouldn't need them. Re-doing the clutch like above eliminates lots of the problems.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
29 Dec 2009 22:12 #341156 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Clutch plate question
Thanks guys!

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port