Putting it all back together.

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Dec 2009 11:42 #340662 by cricketfire46
Putting it all back together. was created by cricketfire46
The newbie needs help once again. In an attempt to replace all gaskets, I have managed to get everything torn apart and most of it all put back together. The one thing that I must not be doing right has to do with the pistons. How in the world do I get those blasted things back down into the jugs? So far everything I have tried has been a waste of time. Is there some sort of tool, or trick to get the rings started back into the jugs to slide them on?

83 kz750 ltd, dyna coils, k&n, mac 4->1 just rolled 50k

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2009 11:44 #340663 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Putting it all back together.
patience,there should be enough of a chamfer in bottem of stosk bore to allow you to squeeze em in carefully by hand.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Dec 2009 11:46 #340664 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic Putting it all back together.
Do I need to be trying this one at a time, or all at once???

83 kz750 ltd, dyna coils, k&n, mac 4->1 just rolled 50k

More
25 Dec 2009 13:00 #340668 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Putting it all back together.
You can cut you a piece of wood with four slots in it to place under the pistons to hold the pistons while you work the cylinder down.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
25 Dec 2009 15:30 #340683 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic Putting it all back together.
Just setting the cylinder gently on the pistons with the two homemade wooden pieces Roy suggested. The weight of the cylinder and squeezing rings on one piston it will cock slightly and then do the other piston. Working one ring on at a time and then the other piston ring also. Just kind of stepping it down. I used a popsicle stick to help push one side while I held the other side of the ring. Fingernails help, but mine are too short. Patience and good luck to you.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

More
25 Dec 2009 22:31 #340722 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Putting it all back together.
A thin metal strip that you can bend easily works well. You can bend each end of the strip outwards for a place to grip, then push it in and around the studs, place it over the top ring on one piston and simply squeeze it together. That ring slips into the jug, then go to the next piston and repeat, repeat. you can try pop sticks but it's gonna be a mother to get the oil rings, not to mention you'll be chasing around the comp. rings constanly since they like to press in then pop back out as you work your way around it. I used a cheap chineese oil filter wrench after I took off the handle, it was easy to bend and get around the studs and was easy to straighten also. The best way is with two compressers at the same time, you turn a knob to tighten them and they lock, I borrowed these from a mechanic at a local bike shop, for a 100 deposite, pretty slick. Some people are still playing with popsickle sticks, I'm beyond that :blink: It helps to have someone hold up the jug, that way you don't have to play carpenter/mechanic with the wood deal. You can burn the wood and sticks in the stove to keep you warm though...:woohoo: Man I'm a smart .... But hey can u blame me, this forum is so slow from page to page and if the blink logo just says woohoo I,m gonna turn into even more of an lll llll. Cuz I aint got time for idiosynchro stuff. :angry:

More
25 Dec 2009 22:33 #340723 by nads.com
I have no hair anywhere on my body.com

More
25 Dec 2009 22:36 - 25 Dec 2009 22:37 #340724 by nads.com
SBC, wonder of your oil rings had the tension mine did? I've got some killer nails but man... could nota get them in, stopped me dead in my tracks. LUCKILY I had a hammernearby
Last edit: 25 Dec 2009 22:37 by nads.com.

More
26 Dec 2009 07:37 #340747 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Putting it all back together.
First off, insure all rings on all 4 pistons are rotated to specifications.... Facing Fwd or Bwd pending which ring....

Insure you have the cylinder base gasket in place!

Raise Pistons 1 & 4 to TDC (Highest level) and place cylinder GENTLY where the bottom of the sleeves are just barely resting on the top rings for 1 & 4 pistons.

Using fingers or a Popsicle stick (wood) or something similar that won't scar the piston, compress the top ring (keeping their rotation positioning) and gentley slide the cylinder over the ring...

Now do the other piston, little at a time back and forth... Accomplish the same back & forth between pistons 1 & 4 until all rings are positioned in the sleeves.

Now slowly, using the 17mm nut under the right side ignition cover, rotate the crank SLOWLY where pistons 1/4 will lower and pistons 2/3 will start to raise... Rotate to where the 2/3 pistons are just at the base of the cylinder sleeves.

Complete the before mentioned process a little bit at a time back & forth, raise a little, back and forth for 2/3 pistons & rings....

Whola! See, that wasn't that hard now.... :blink: Isn;t this crap fun!!!! B)

As mentioned, patience, a whole pack of smokes and no beer drinking and she'll drop into place... Just like the pro's..... ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
27 Dec 2009 00:47 #340802 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Putting it all back together.
roy-b-boy-b wrote:

You can cut you a piece of wood with four slots in it to place under the pistons to hold the pistons while you work the cylinder down.

You can make some from paint stir sticks at Home Depot... they give them away for free and you can cut them to length and duct tape some to get the height you need.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Dec 2009 13:38 #340852 by KLD
Replied by KLD on topic Putting it all back together.
Easy and simple. Put zipties around the rings

More
27 Dec 2009 14:10 #340854 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Putting it all back together.
KLD wrote:

Easy and simple. Put zipties around the rings

not a bad idea......might belong in tools section.....B)