rebuild advice...

More
19 Dec 2009 20:30 #339912 by hammerguy09
rebuild advice... was created by hammerguy09
ok ...I have a 78 kz1000. I was planning on just getting the bike in running condition so that i could ride, but now after seeing the true condition of the bike im not sure if I want to trust this thing with my life...Now I am thinking of starting a rebuild project (which could take years). Better safe than sorry right. I just figure I will keep comming across these tiny problems if it is not done. I have a few friends who are willing to help me and I have a service manual for the bike. Basically I just wanted to know if you guys had any advice on more learning material. Any good books, videos, sites, etc.. that aid in engine rebuilds....? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
19 Dec 2009 20:55 #339916 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic rebuild advice...
check out my thread, maybe it can help you a bit!

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=11&id=325522

More
19 Dec 2009 22:10 #339918 by switch
Replied by switch on topic rebuild advice...
Hammer,
There are plenty of threads, articles, how-tos, etc. on this site, and all specific to our KZ family. Dig through this resource first Go to Archive first and search for your question. There aren't too many really new questions.

Got experience? Even guys with no experience have used the resources here to accomplish great things for the first time. I'm one, and although I left the engine work for my wrench, everything else was me and the things I learned here.

Add your full bike designation to your signature, so we know what your asking about. Oh, yeah, pictures please.

Good luck, and enjoy your adventure. Switch

1981 KZ1000 M1 CSR
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (gone)
You do not have to believe everything you think!

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
19 Dec 2009 22:22 #339923 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic rebuild advice...
hammerguy09 wrote:

ok ...I have a 78 kz1000. I was planning on just getting the bike in running condition so that i could ride, but now after seeing the true condition of the bike im not sure if I want to trust this thing with my life...Now I am thinking of starting a rebuild project (which could take years)...

9am53 has some *excellent* advice and experience there, and I'd like to say that I'm just now at the tail end of where you thought (at one time at least) you'd like to end up.

I got (for free as it turns out) a 1978 kz1000 A2 standard model with 28k miles. This thing had set for 10-12 years without running. The brakes were frozen. The seller *claimed* it had custom cams and other stuff in the motor but the motor turned out to be stock.

So I have the same year kz1000 as yours and I'm happy to report that it's running fine and quite road-worthy after over a decade sitting under a tarp in the guy's back yard.

If you have a complete bike, you might be able to get it running like I did this one without *too* much money.

First thing I did: bought a factory shop manual (FSM as it's referred to) online.

Then I pulled and cleaned the carbs using the shop manual on how to do the carb removal. I asked on here for help with how to clean the carbs.

Carbs back on per the FSM.

Fixed front brake (still working on rear brake) - well, bought a used front brake as I munged the original one trying to rebuild it.

Had a 30-year-old Gerex electronic ignition -- IT WORKS FINE, I still can't believe it. A piece of electronic stuff from 1978 still working? wow. Got help on that ignition from this forum.

Bought and installed new battery.

Did valve clearance check as per the manual, had to change 2 shims to get 2 of the 8 valves in spec. Asked on here where buy a valve adjust tool, found one for $8 on eBay from that advice.

Removed gas tank, removed the petcock. Flushed gas tank with Lacquer Thinner, let dry out at room temp. Then flushed tank with 1 gallon gasoline.

Cleaned the petcock, reinstalled petcock on tank, reinstalled tank. Filled up with gas.

RUNS GREAT. Man, it was not, and did not LOOK roadworthy 3 months ago when I rented a van and brought it home! Here's my $$ outlay on this 'free' 1978 kz1000:

INVESTMENT SO FAR
- truck rental + truck gas = $80
- $75 for new battery
- $14 for 4 new spark plugs, NGK B8ES
- $58 for 4 carb rebuild kits (found on eBay)
- $42 for used factory shop manual (eBay)

- $30 for new #22.5 pilot and new #120 main jets (was running too lean from the prior owner's installation of a 4-into-1 Kerker exhaust system)

- $20 for new oil filter and 4 quarts of 10w-40 oil
- $2 for brass washer for oil filter bolt (when I changed the oil filter the stock washer wasn't there)
- $40 for used 1978 kz650 front brake system (master cylinder, lever, upper and lower brake lines,
coupler, front caliper with pads, brake rotor)
- $26 for carb o-rings (8 for the 4 drain plugs and 4 emulsion tubes, 8 for the pilot adjustment)
- $15.95 for new valve cover gasket

These guys on here like 9am53 can really save you time! Just ask. GOOD LUCK to you!

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

More
20 Dec 2009 07:24 #339960 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic rebuild advice...
Regarding the engine rebuild....

When researching my build, I was queried with a couple main questions from two individuals that somewhat was eerie due to the exact wording where ~ 100% the same... Buzz @ Dynoman performance and Larry C.

The main questions you need to ask your self honestly is the following.

What are you looking for in performance.
(Strong running street ride, low to mid or wide open throttle throttle response).

What's your riding style:
Just cruising on a nice ride able KZ or out of the hole hang on to your pants accelerations or WOT as fast as she can go riding styles. Loving twisties, lean heavely on corners, wheelies and burn outs etc...

How much can you truly afford $$$$ or are willing to spend... Not only in the money spent but in time as well... You have wife and kids, watch out for this becomes an obsession and wifey poo ain't going to be happy....

How much of this build are you planning on doing yourself. As in my case, considering I already had the fabrication skills and tools, saved myself a huge amount of $$$. If I had to have it done elsewhere, no way would I have gone the way I did...

If just a strong running stock KZ:
Then a lot of $$$ can be saved... ex, most likely no need for new cams, timing components new chain & tensioner guide most likely all you'll need sure...

If compressions and leak-down test in spec, no need to go and replace.

Head work:
Can get a valve job for ~ $300-$500... If going this route, pay the extra for new seals, guides, valves and springs.

If not leaking oil, other than new valve cover gasket for valve clearance checks good to go... Possibly some shims but those are cheap.
NOTE: Z1 has complete gasket & seal kits for under $100.

Electrical.... Some choose to keep with points and condensers... $250 for new coils and EI conversion...
New rectifier/regulator combo module $120. New battery, pending lead acid or gel $50-$150.

Probably new cables, chain and sprockets, carb re-build kits, tires, shocks etc... Possibly clutch plates and springs $120...

For a finely upgraded KZ running strong and reliable figure ~ $500-$1000 pending some of the mentioned items and you'll be up & running with a nicely re-built and safe KZ... B)

If looking for additional umphka out of the old girl.... You'll easily shell out a couple grand in the engine alone for performance & power comes at a price. ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
20 Dec 2009 15:15 #340035 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic rebuild advice...
If looking for additional umphka out of the old girl.... You'll easily shell out a couple grand in the engine alone for performance & power comes at a price.

amen brother......mo money, mo money......:laugh:

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
20 Dec 2009 18:14 #340063 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic rebuild advice...
One thing that keeps it real sane for me with expenditures for old classic bikes. You can't get the money back out when/if you sell it.

You know, if you're buying old classics you're probably an older person, not a 20-something and if you make megabucks then disregard this post, but most of us don't make the big dollars. I just bought a bike that the seller put (supposedly) $10,000 in mods -- it is a 1986 gsxr1100 Suzuki with upside-down forks, a modded engine, non-stock rear end and Fox suspension, custom electronic ignition stuff, enough money in the engine to pump out 135hp at the rear wheel, a chrome custom-made one-off exhaust system to complement all the engine mods. Custom carbs with an accelerator pump (not present on the '86 gsxrs apparently). Head work, valve work, etc. etc. Custom 17" wheels, much wider rear wheel, yada yada yada.

The bike looks great and is an incredible wheelie machine, almost like a dirt bike, but no way did I pay $10,000 for it, and that's the point.

Ask yourself: "Do I want to sink $4000 into this then sell it in a couple three years for half that?"

Is your fun worth it? For many IT IS.
For me I'd rather buy one way cheaper than what it cost to build (see discussion above of the $1000, that's one-thousand-dollars, 1986 Suzuki gsxr1100 I just bought.)

I just never, EVER want to place an ad that says "My loss is your gain" or "Put twice the asking price into the motor alone" -- because, I'm an older guy, I like classic bikes, but at my age I can't afford to give money away.

(If I were a rich feller I wouldn'ta post this just now.)

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

More
21 Dec 2009 02:53 #340120 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic rebuild advice...
I guess that was one question for your self I should have added to the list... Building for the love of turning the old girl for a profit or for the love of her to keep and cherish....

As with all restoration projects... Unless it's a extremely rare vehicle, car/motorcycle you'll never truly get all your money back once you total it up in $$$ and time spent restoring...

Most of us here do this for the love of what the KZ is not to mention we just love working on these old magnificent machines.

Turning a 30 year old POS rusted out old girl and re-building her to her beautiful shape she once was... Look at her lines, stunning. And performance, for 30 year old technology she still rocks and kicks some ass (new bike)... B)

I look at it this way... Golf for example as a hobby... Pack of new Balls $15 (loose ~ half of them $8), tee fees pending where you go $50-$100, gas/food & 18th hole beers $50. Damn, close to $200 to go out and chase a little freaking ball around (that's if you can find it when you chunked it into the weeds/rocks/trees)... And we'd do this every weekend! :blink:

For that kind of money, I can rebuild another KZ! ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az