Primary chain master link?

More
13 Dec 2009 13:12 #338801 by polkat
Primary chain master link? was created by polkat
I've swapped out the cam chain on two bikes using a master link so I wouldn't have to split the case. Never had any problem with them. I was wondering if a master link was available for the primary chain so I could do the same thing? Anyone know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2009 14:39 #338815 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Primary chain master link?
That's interesting. What type of camchain did you put the master link in? Was it a roller chain, or the newer Hyvo type camchain?

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
13 Dec 2009 15:19 #338817 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Primary chain master link?
a master link is very common for a drive chains. the newer 530's are going away from them now though.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
13 Dec 2009 15:21 #338818 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Primary chain master link?
About the only chain I'd put a master link on is the drive chain. It is still the weakest link. Never seen go one but heard what a snapped cam chain can do. I imagine a primary could also do some good damage too. For that matter sometimes a drive chain letting go is not pretty. A good reason to take care of your chain and inspect it often especially the master. Never heard of a HiVo master link.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
13 Dec 2009 18:16 #338849 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Primary chain master link?
The cam chains I did were rollers (didn't know there was anything else?). By primary chain I mean in the engine, not the drive chain. I've found that master links are perfectly fine if installed right. All the parts are just as strong as a regular link except the clip, and it is fine if fully seated, and installed in the right direction.

I know that the primary chain is not a roller type, but I'm sure there are links master links for one, but where?

More
13 Dec 2009 22:21 #338876 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Primary chain master link?
polkat wrote:

The cam chains I did were rollers (didn't know there was anything else?). By primary chain I mean in the engine, not the drive chain. I've found that master links are perfectly fine if installed right.

Maybe, but I would never run one on a primary drive chain.

polkat wrote:

I know that the primary chain is not a roller type, but I'm sure there are links master links for one, but where?

I have never seen one.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 Dec 2009 22:51 - 13 Dec 2009 22:56 #338880 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Primary chain master link?
Am thinking this is the link for HiVo cam chain.

Link for HiVo cam chain available from Z1E

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 Dec 2009 22:56 by Patton.

More
13 Dec 2009 23:30 - 13 Dec 2009 23:36 #338881 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Primary chain master link?
Patton, that looks like a re-riveting cam chain master link, not a clip type. I'd bet that would be every bit as strong as a continous chain if re-riveted correctly! Thanks for that link.

The cam chains I swapped may have been Hi-Vo, although I remember them as roller. Also did some Honda's that way, which may be confusing me. That reminds me to ask, Can a Hi-Vo chain be used to replace a roller type for the cam? Or did Kawa use different spockets on the 750 crank/cams?

Looking at that link, and thinking about it, one could probably make a primary master from an old chain.

The big problem with clip type masters, particularly with rear drive chains, is that the clip can get hit with rocks and other trash and get knocked off. But in enclosed areas (like a cam chain) they are perfectly safe if installed properly. They get a bad rep that's (other then the drive chain) not always deserved.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2009 23:36 by polkat.

More
14 Dec 2009 00:45 #338883 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Primary chain master link?
polkat wrote:

in enclosed areas (like a cam chain) they are perfectly safe if installed properly. They get a bad rep that's (other then the drive chain) not always deserved.

definitely a psychological fear against a non-riveted chain.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
14 Dec 2009 05:07 #338898 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Primary chain master link?
1977-~1980 kz650's used roller cam chains; after ~1980 and all kz/gpz 750 4 cylinders used hyvo cam chains.

The primary chain is like 4" wide. I have never seen a masterlink for such a wide chain. Good luck!

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
14 Dec 2009 05:24 #338902 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Primary chain master link?
Most psychological fears have a root in some reality. I guess in a riveted chain some mook could screw it up and produce a weakened chain and I guess a manufacturing glitch could produce a weakened endless chain. I also suppose a guide block or vibrations could influence a clip for that matter. We have a large amount of people here it would be interesting to poll and see how many have a clipped master on their cam chain or primary. And if any have ever failed.

I know of a 71' Honda DOHC450 that snapped a factory cam chain at 45,000. Made a mess of the head.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
14 Dec 2009 09:45 - 14 Dec 2009 09:50 #338933 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Primary chain master link?
For those of you not familiar with the 650/750 four engines they employ a hy-vo/multiplate primary chain that ties the crank to the secondary shaft through the starter clutch housing (see pic below).

The primary chains are notorious for rattling especially at idle/low rpms, which is about the only reason I can see for replacing one. I have never ever seen a primary chain break, nor have I ever even heard of one breaking.

I doubt that a masterlink is available for the primary chain, and even if it was I wouldn't use one anyway - if the primary chain is worn/stretched beyond service limit, chances are most of the engine innards (bearings, crank sleeves etc.) will be too so you'd have to split the cases anyway to replace those in which case you might as well install a new endless primary chain.

As for the cam chain I wouldn't think twice about using a riveted master link - if you take your bike to a bike shop and ask them to replace the cam chain I'd bet 99% would use a master link. Why? Because very few wants to pay a shop what it costs to split the cases and install an endless chain. In fact all the endless cam chains I ever bought came with a master link, probably for the very same reason.

Mind you, we're talking riveted master links, I have never seen a clip type cam chain master link, nor would I ever use one.

Btw, no a hy-vo cam chain can't be used to replace a roller chain - the crank is different, the cam sprockets are different, cylinder block is different, cylinder head is different, valve cover is different and the cam chain guides are different (roller uses idler gears, hy-vo uses sliding blocks}.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Dec 2009 09:50 by OnkelB.