Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)

More
11 Dec 2009 23:06 #338588 by Fozzie
Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust) was created by Fozzie
Which is better? I have Vance and Hines on my bike now but I just dont like the bluing on the pipes from the heat. Is there a way to prevent that? Is it possible to just get that exhaust powder coated? Or should I just spend the money for one thats already powder coated? I think it would look good b/c my engine is black, but if anyone has any pics of powder coated exhaust on their bike that would help. Thanks.

1982 KZ1000J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2009 05:48 #338595 by kzr750r1
Replied by kzr750r1 on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
Powder is heat resistant but not that much. If you want it black there are high temp spray paint. Or the better option of ceramic coating.

Folks are coating the inside and outside. The advantage is it's a high temp coating and help scavenges the heat out the tail pipe. But you will likely need the chrome removed before a clean application.

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
12 Dec 2009 07:59 #338613 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
There is a product available called Blue-Job, that does a pretty good job of removing the bluing and yellow from your pipes.

Then, take the headers off, and spray VHT Super-high-heat header paint down into the pipes at the engine end.
Put MANY good coats in there, and use a bottle brush to push it down as far as you can go into the pipe.

Now your pipes will take forever to blue (with good jetting), and when they do start to blue a little, you can just wipe it away with the Blue-Job.

Cheers!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
12 Dec 2009 09:07 #338622 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
kzr750r1 wrote:

...Or the better option of ceramic coating.

Folks are coating the inside and outside...

Just don't coat the inside on a turbo header or mid pipe. If a piece of the ceramic comes loose, the turbo can be trashed.

When I worked on a Nitro Funny Car, ceramic coating was the ONLY coating that would last. If done by someone who knows what they are doing, and all the prep work is done, it is very resiliant.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
12 Dec 2009 11:44 #338635 by Fozzie
Replied by Fozzie on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
Thanks guys, that helps alot. I think I'll try removing the blueing first and the VHT paint. If I'm not happy with that I'll probably just get the coated Vance & Hines. Just trying to avoid the expense but its hard to be cheap with such a project :laugh:

1982 KZ1000J

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
12 Dec 2009 13:38 #338642 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
Fozzie wrote:

Thanks guys, that helps alot. I think I'll try removing the blueing first and the VHT paint. If I'm not happy with that I'll probably just get the coated Vance & Hines. Just trying to avoid the expense but its hard to be cheap with such a project :laugh:

Agreed!

There are some really nice black Kerkers' ... $$$

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
12 Dec 2009 14:01 #338645 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
I had my Kerker sand blasted and high heat powder coated a few years back. It was quite rusty to start. I bought it back in the '80s.
It cost me $200 CDN, which is around $100 USD labour wise. ;)

Before:

After:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
12 Dec 2009 16:11 - 12 Dec 2009 16:12 #338675 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
Fozzie wrote:

You won't like the VHT paint. I used it for many years, it softens up and turns dull pretty quickly. It doesn't look that good and has to be redone every couple of years. Now I just keep the chrome pipes and live with the blue.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 12 Dec 2009 16:12 by bountyhunter.

More
12 Dec 2009 22:43 #338731 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
I sandblasted my MAC chrome header and powder coated it with (foolish) regular powder coating. I was too cheap for the high temp stuff and didn't want to wait a week to get it in the mail. The regular powder burned off within minutes near the hottest parts of the exhaust collectors, so obviously if you go the powdercoating route, get the high-temp stuff. The first few inches of the header have burned off obviously, but the rest of the header is in great shape. I just wish I hadn't been cheap and impatient and had done it right the first time. The other part that sucked was getting my header in a standard sized oven I use for powdercoating. I won't ever try and coat it in a standard sized oven again. I'd rather try and paint it than go through that experience again.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

More
13 Dec 2009 00:02 - 13 Dec 2009 00:03 #338737 by Fozzie
Replied by Fozzie on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
I found a shop near my town that said they'd do the prep work and powder coat for 80 bucks(usd). Said it had a temp rating of 1200 degrees and would warranty their work. Think I may go that route. If it looks good I may just get the frame and the wheels powder coated too. I'll just go powder coat crazy :silly:

1982 KZ1000J
Last edit: 13 Dec 2009 00:03 by Fozzie.

More
13 Dec 2009 00:42 #338741 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
Fozzie wrote:

I found a shop near my town that said they'd do the prep work and powder coat for 80 bucks(usd). Said it had a temp rating of 1200 degrees and would warranty their work. Think I may go that route. If it looks good I may just get the frame and the wheels powder coated too. I'll just go powder coat crazy :silly:

good price, I wouldn't even do the prep work for tht price.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 Dec 2009 08:41 #338776 by kzr750r1
Replied by kzr750r1 on topic Chrome vs Powder Coated (Exhaust)
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

kzr750r1 wrote:

...Or the better option of ceramic coating.

Folks are coating the inside and outside...

Just don't coat the inside on a turbo header or mid pipe. If a piece of the ceramic comes loose, the turbo can be trashed.

When I worked on a Nitro Funny Car, ceramic coating was the ONLY coating that would last. If done by someone who knows what they are doing, and all the prep work is done, it is very resiliant.

Good point Jeff thanks for the reminder. :) That would suck.

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST