Head Gasket Problems. Shop Manual Question

More
06 Dec 2009 13:00 #337796 by cccampbe
Well, my head gasket seems to be leaking and since it is winter I figure its time to investigate and fix some things on the bike. It seems to run fine but is seeping some junk out between where the head meets the block. The shaft drive housing is also leaking. The real point of this thread is to ask what is the best shop manual for my 1984 KZ550 LTD Shaft Drive. I searched with out much luck. I have moderate mechanical skill and experience but this will be my first time doing any major work on a bike. I'm looking for something to outline the basics with some torque specs and stuff like that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2009 13:07 #337799 by Buda
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard

More
06 Dec 2009 13:56 #337805 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Head Gasket Problems. Shop Manual Question
+1 on a factory manual. Worth it's weight in gold.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
06 Dec 2009 16:41 #337837 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic Head Gasket Problems. Shop Manual Question
Buda is right. I bought a Kawasaki Factory Manual for my EN 450/454 and am looking to replace the Clymer for my KZ 650 E. Big difference in the two. If you only have a moderate amount of mechanical skills,you will be all right, I think we all started out that way. The big thing is the book, and being willing to get your hands dirty. You'll be surprised to find out how easy the majority of the repairs are.There are a lot of guys here that are knowledgeable on all the hard things and can explain them quite well.I'd do a compression test to see if the one cylinder has a large difference than the rest. Good luck, Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

More
07 Dec 2009 20:24 #338012 by cccampbe
Replied by cccampbe on topic Head Gasket Problems. Shop Manual Question
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate the kindness a lot. I will try and bid on that manual as soon as I can transfer some funds to my online account. As far as mechanical ability goes, I feel like I should be fine. I worked in a garage for 3 years. But that was all land rovers and some restorations on some old british cars. Mostly MG's and Triumphs. This will be my first solo project and my first bike. I'm currently in school studying to become a mechanical engineer and don't have the best selection of tools up here so that could cause some trouble. But I think I have enough to do most things. Thanks again for the help guys. I'll be sure and come back here with my questions when I get them. Great Site!