Midrange ping. Considering quench/squish

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Jan 2010 15:23 #342127 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Midrange ping. Considering quench/squish
Yes the CHP will have a bigger squish area and could be called a squish type head. Remember that we have 30 year old chamber designs’ to work with. At the time they did what they could . they didn’t know how to do it better YET.
There was a time when the hemi had no squish band. They could not get as much compression from it. The stagnant mix at the edge would pre ignite and crash into the spark plugs flame , causing the tell tale knock of detonation.
After adding the squish band they began to learn more of its affect and how the flames burned rate, and path affected detonation.
The flame must move as fast as possible to benefit higher compression charges. The hemi dome is actually not very conducive to a fast flame. The bigger the piston the worse it gets, as the flame must travel farther(and the piston holds more heat, the bigger it gets ). As the pistons crown becomes taller, in an effort to gain compression ,the flame path lengthens, and becomes very thin. A long thin path will take longer to burn than the nice deep small pocket .
Picture the u shape of the hemi chamber pictured above, now lay that out flat. This will be a very long thin flame path, compared to the pictured, CHP chamber.

The kz’s squish band is small , but It is still beneficial. U can tell how efficient a chamber design is by the amount of ignition timing required. Ours needs about 40*. A modern motor is closer to 34*.

The stock kz had low compression, there fore didn’t need as much help from the squish. As we raise the comp, we run into detonation issues. Therefore we must find ways to combat this evil.
All we can do is work with what we have. By reducing, the squish clearance we can make the squish zone work more efficiently, and hopefully raise the compression.
The other area to address is the heat added from the extra compression.
We can glass bead, and paint, drill holes in the cooling fins, even ontop of the chamber.
Add an oil cooler, of course.
I hope this is of some help.B)
Mark.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2010 17:46 - 09 Jan 2010 17:47 #342396 by kpier998
Replied by kpier998 on topic Midrange ping. Considering quench/squish
The stagnant mix at the edge would pre ignite and crash into the spark plugs flame , causing the tell tale knock of detonation.

The kz’s squish band is small , but It is still beneficial

Makes sense! Thanks for explaining that.

Kirk
Last edit: 09 Jan 2010 17:47 by kpier998.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
10 Jan 2010 06:50 #342428 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Midrange ping. Considering quench/squish
Your welcome. i find these sites have taught me a lot, and am more than happy to pass it on.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)