Raising the stock mufflers?

More
03 Dec 2009 16:37 #337311 by polkat
Raising the stock mufflers? was created by polkat
I recently posted about swapping out the stock mufflers on my '82 KZ750H3 for something similar but smaller, and was told that the stock 'megaphone' type mufflers were the best for the bike (that with others the engine might not run as well).

Okay, that makes sense. Here's the problem; I recently lowered the rear end 3" with struts and installed a springed solo seat (I'm slowly bobbing this thing). It actually rides nicely and not too harshly, but the stock mufflers are scraping the ground on tighter turns, hence my reason for wanting smaller ones. The exhaust system is all welded, no clamps. Is there a way I can bend them up a bit without damaging the header pipes where they connect? Perhaps cut them off and clamp in a short, slightly curved piece of tubing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2009 16:49 #337314 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Raising the stock mufflers?
Pics of where you need them bent. Im thinking a muffler shop could do on a madrel bender.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
03 Dec 2009 17:07 #337320 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Raising the stock mufflers?
polkat wrote:

I recently posted about swapping out the stock mufflers on my '82 KZ750H3 for something similar but smaller, and was told that the stock 'megaphone' type mufflers were the best for the bike (that with others the engine might not run as well).

You should have no problems running a different exhaust system. Just make sure you rejet your carburetors and you'll be fine.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
03 Dec 2009 17:17 #337323 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Raising the stock mufflers?
I'll try to get a pic, but I need to bend them up a bit where the front of the muffler connects to the header pipe, so that the back end of the mufflers comes up about 3".

StreetfighterKz, I'd like to run some slip-ons if I can find them, but my knowledge of motorcycle fuel systems is not yet up enough to match jets with specific mufflers. If I could find something with roughly the same back pressure, I'd be better off.

More
03 Dec 2009 18:17 #337344 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Raising the stock mufflers?
If you are still running the stock air box you should be able to get away with not rejetting with an exhaust change provided you don't run an unbaffled pipe. If you do have to rejet it would likely just need an increase of one size on the main jets, but I'd be surprised if it ran poorly without rejetting. I ran a mac 4-1 on my first kz650 and didn't have to change jetting until I switched to pod filters instead of the airbox.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
03 Dec 2009 18:19 - 03 Dec 2009 18:23 #337345 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Raising the stock mufflers?
polkat wrote:

I'll try to get a pic, but I need to bend them up a bit where the front of the muffler connects to the header pipe, so that the back end of the mufflers comes up about 3".

I might think the solution would be to cut the pipe about 1" ahead of the muffler and weld in some kind of a flanging connector to put in the bend you need. You might also do a "angle cut" on the pipe piece on the muffler side to angle it up and then just weld the original pipes back together and grind the welds flush.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Dec 2009 18:23 by bountyhunter.

More
03 Dec 2009 18:55 #337355 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Raising the stock mufflers?
polkat wrote:

I'd like to run some slip-ons if I can find them, but my knowledge of motorcycle fuel systems is not yet up enough to match jets with specific mufflers. If I could find something with roughly the same back pressure, I'd be better off.

Earlier you said that you had a 1-piece exhaust system. If that's the case you'll only find aftermarket full systems for your bike.

Also if you have the capability to clean a set of carbs you can rejet. I'm sure others on here have rejetted their bikes and can offer jetting suggestions.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax