Is my clutch slipping?

More
23 Nov 2009 13:55 #335404 by chrispysaki
Is my clutch slipping? was created by chrispysaki
I should probably know what it's like when a clutch is slipping, but, well, I don't.

When I really lay on the throttle, my tach will run between 6K - 9K really fast, within a second probably, without a big surge in power. The acceleration is good still, but it just seems like I'm losing that part of the powerband, and I wasn't sure if maybe the clutch isn't causing it.

BTW, I'm running pods/jets and 4-1 pipe on an otherwise stock 1980 KZ750-4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2009 14:06 #335405 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Is my clutch slipping?
What type/brand of engine oil are you using? Some of the newer car oils have friction modifiers not compatable with the wet plate clutches in thses older bikes.

Shell Rotella is a brand used with success in older bikes with wet clutches.

I'd suggest replacing the oil with Rotella,adjust the clutch and try again.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
23 Nov 2009 15:02 #335416 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Is my clutch slipping?
chrispysaki wrote:

I should probably know what it's like when a clutch is slipping, but, well, I don't.

When I really lay on the throttle, my tach will run between 6K - 9K really fast, within a second probably, without a big surge in power.

That's how a slipping clutch feels. Been there, done that.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
23 Nov 2009 15:09 #335418 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Is my clutch slipping?
MFolks wrote:

What type/brand of engine oil are you using? Some of the newer car oils have friction modifiers not compatable with the wet plate clutches in thses older bikes.

Shell Rotella is a brand used with success in older bikes with wet clutches.

I'd suggest replacing the oil with Rotella,adjust the clutch and try again.

Might want to flush the crankcase with some Seafoam before changing the oil to get the stuff off the plates. Couldn't hurt.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
23 Nov 2009 15:13 #335419 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic Is my clutch slipping?
Another trick is to adjust the clutch at the clutch lever to ensure factory suggested play and adjust the push rod by removing the little rectangular cover on the left side of the bike.

Someone who knows the procedure can maybe chime in with the specific details.

More
23 Nov 2009 19:37 #335515 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Is my clutch slipping?
I adjusted the clutch where the cable connects to the shift lever and at the push rod according to the manual. The clutch works well under most conditions, it's just when I'm running around 3/4 throttle or more that I can feel the engine really want to take off and the acceleration remains constant - not like it bogs, but it just doesn't match the tach.

I'm using some generic 20w50 car oil with a little bit of 10w30 synthetic that I had on hand. I never realized the oil could make that big of a difference.

So, if it is the clutch, are new plates the solution?

More
23 Nov 2009 19:43 #335516 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Is my clutch slipping?
pull it apart and measure plates and springs 1st before ordering new clutch.if the steel plates are flat still you can clean them up by glassbeading,stock replacement style springs and fiber plates work best in most situations in my experiance anyway if you need to replace them B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
23 Nov 2009 19:51 #335521 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic Is my clutch slipping?
New friction plates, and....if you plan on more mods to extract more power, and/or you just want to never need to mess with it for a LONG time -- slightly heavier or even *noticeably* heavier springs to get that sucker to GRIP and STICK.

Guys on here who do drags or race could point out a supplier or web site with a heavy-duty clutch aftermarket setup.

I'm doing it right now on a Kaw 400cc triple that is doing *exactly* what yours is doing -- I give it gas and the revs shoot up but the bike doesn't -- these 400cc triples pop wheelies normally but the clutch is slipping like yours is. I find that personally disappointing *and* embarrassing.

It is a stain on my reputation to drive such a poorly outfitted machine, hence the heavy duty clutch springs and a new set of really stick friction plates I've just put on. I'm looking after the family's good name, and the next time the 400 comes out of the garage, it's popping wheelies. Or the family name is mud, it's a sacrilege. :blush:

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

More
23 Nov 2009 19:53 #335522 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Is my clutch slipping?
better buy yourself a dumbell to get that left arm in shape! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
23 Nov 2009 19:59 #335528 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Is my clutch slipping?
i use stock seasoned(old worn out ) clutch plates and springs in all my bikes but my big drag bike,in that one i use even lighter springs than stock scuff up the steels or better yet bead blast them not sand blast and measure your fibers to make sure they are still in spec and you should be good to go by the scotch brite 3m pads work wonders on steel clutch plates to get the glaze off of them.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
25 Nov 2009 17:14 #335936 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Is my clutch slipping?
I've had this problem.

For me it was the rod adjustment on the clutch cover. Once the bike was hot, it tightened up a bit and would slip like you say, at the top end.
It wasnt until I adjusted it hot with a bit more movement then spec, that it gripped proper throughout the power band.

Cheers, good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
30 Nov 2009 08:56 #336689 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Is my clutch slipping?
Hmmm, that might be worth a try. Definitely cheaper than buying new plates. If I remember correctly, the bike has been cold whenever I've adjusted the rod on the clutch cover. Thanks!