Loud/quiet baffle

More
22 Nov 2009 20:17 #335279 by WPBill
Loud/quiet baffle was created by WPBill
For those of us that love the sound of an uncorked 4/1 megaphone system at WFO, but still wish to retain our licenses and our neighbors' good will, this little device recently entered the market and might be just the ticket. It comes in various sizes, not just the one I linked, and the set screw is installed about five inches up the pipe. I don't have one myself, but I'll probably try it out this coming summer.

www.jpcycles.com/search/ProductDetail?sk...&Ns=&results=10&Nao=

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
22 Nov 2009 20:41 - 22 Nov 2009 20:42 #335283 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Loud/quiet baffle
wow........that's an awsome idea. Kind of expensive though.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois
Last edit: 22 Nov 2009 20:42 by oldkaws4ever. Reason: My lack of spelling thing's right

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
22 Nov 2009 21:10 #335288 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic Loud/quiet baffle
Soon to be knocked-off in China then mass-marketed thus shutting down any entrepreneurial effort in this area.

Thing is, it is expensive and *perfect* for 50c-per-hour labor and without regard for patents.

It will be excellent for a Harley as many of the people riding those are making such foolish decisions about after-market noisy exhaust purchases that, as the ad says, 'States are cracking down on noise from motorcycles.'

WONDER WHY!

Semi-loud 4-into-1 pipes have been available since the 1970s when the Honda cb750-four first came out in 1969.

We who ride big inline fours have never had 'wake-up-the-neighborhood' noise levels out of our pipes.

Not to bash Harleys, but even the V-twin Ducati et al riders, when they have custom pipes on, are not NEARLY as loud as those Harley pipes.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

More
22 Nov 2009 23:15 #335302 by WPBill
Replied by WPBill on topic Loud/quiet baffle
I've been woken out of a sound sleep on many a summer night due to the sound of uncorked 4/1's. Of course, though, that's one of the prices one pays for growing up in a Japanese beach town near Tokyo/Yokohama. LOTS of bosozoku running amuck. Even so, an uncorked 4/1 at WFO is STILL one of my favorite sounds.

Both my HD's sport baffled aftermarket exhausts but I constantly worry even they are too loud for my neighbors. I think this Quiet Riot system would be a good way to augment their silencing abilities w/o robbing power at mid and high range. Only one way to find out!

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)