troubleshooting tips?

More
22 Nov 2009 19:51 #335274 by gigolojoe
troubleshooting tips? was created by gigolojoe
Hi,
I have a 75 KZ400S that won't start. The battery is charged, lights come on, and there is fuel in tank. I kick the kick start and get nothing.
Does anybody have a list of typical troubleshooting steps?
Please help a noobie.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
22 Nov 2009 20:05 #335276 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic troubleshooting tips?
Do you have spark to the plugs? Pull one out and hook it to the wire and lay it on the engine so it will get a ground and try starting and you should see a spark jump across the electrode of the spark plug. Check that the kill switch is not in the off position.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
22 Nov 2009 20:07 - 22 Nov 2009 20:08 #335277 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic troubleshooting tips?
Check for spark, pull a plug put the cap on it and lay it against the cylinder and kick it over should see a spark if not check your ignition coil per service manual

MAN I DONT TYPE FASST ENOUGH:laugh:

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN
Last edit: 22 Nov 2009 20:08 by moneypit.

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
23 Nov 2009 01:06 #335308 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic troubleshooting tips?
You have to pull the clutch lever in even when the bike's in neutral on some older Kaws -- I have a 1978 kz1000 and the thing won't spin the starter until the clutch is pulled in.

Yes do the spark plug-laying-atop-the-cylinder, and make sure the metal base of the plug is touching the metal of the cylinder head to get the grounding the plug needs, and as mentioned above the plug must be in the spark plug cap.

Is the spark plug damp/wet? If so it is fouled, let it dry a bit then try again.

If you cannot see spark on the plug, repost here for more help.

If you do get spark -- check for gas supply:
- is the tank low on fuel and if so, do you have the petcock on 'Res' (reserve)?

- if you put the petcock on 'Pri' (prime) is it only then that you see gas flowing out of the tank to the carbs? Maybe the vacuum-operated petcock diaphragm is busted and isn't letting gas flow to the carbs.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

More
23 Nov 2009 07:41 #335348 by will61310
Replied by will61310 on topic troubleshooting tips?
If it is getting spark,then you need to check compression also. Does it have fresh gas in it? Is it even trying to fire at all?

...1980 LTD 1000...

More
23 Nov 2009 09:16 #335370 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic troubleshooting tips?
Not trying to be a wizeass but is the kill switch in run position? Just want to rule out the obvious, it is a newbie symptom.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
23 Nov 2009 18:12 #335474 by gigolojoe
Replied by gigolojoe on topic troubleshooting tips?
Thanks everybody I'll try the spark plug first and let you know how it goes.

More
23 Nov 2009 19:35 #335513 by gigolojoe
Hi,
Okay, I've got spark. The fuel valve is in the on position and the engine switch is set to run. Do I have to hold the throttle open while I turn the motor? Also, how do you clean the inside of the gas tank, its pretty rusty.
Thanks again

More
23 Nov 2009 19:49 #335519 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic troubleshooting tips?
newOld_kz1000 wrote: "You have to pull the clutch lever in even when the bike's in neutral on some older Kaws -- I have a 1978 kz1000 and the thing won't spin the starter until the clutch is pulled in."

Not when using the kickstarter. If you pull in the clutch when kicking the engine will not turn over. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Nov 2009 20:00 #335529 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic troubleshooting tips?
gigolojoe wrote:

Hi,
Okay, I've got spark. The fuel valve is in the on position and the engine switch is set to run. Do I have to hold the throttle open while I turn the motor? Also, how do you clean the inside of the gas tank, its pretty rusty.
Thanks again

Do I have to hold the throttle open while I turn the motor? --- with choke applied for starting cold engine, don't touch the throttle when cranking over the engine.

Should have inline fuel filter(s) fitted to trap any grit or crud coming from inside fuel tank.

Also a good idea to remove the tank and flush it with a little fresh gas. Shake the tank with some fresh gas in it, and then turn it upside down to fast dump gas through the open cap.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Nov 2009 04:01 - 24 Nov 2009 04:03 #335567 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic troubleshooting tips?
"how do you clean the inside of the gas tank, its pretty rusty."... Stop right there!

Have you been using this tank while trying to start this engine? Please say it isn't so....

If so :blink:, you have crap in your carbs now... 99.9% positive they will require cleaning... Remove a crab float bowel, rust particles/grit in it then yup, you'll need to clean them out thorughly....

Several products out there to clean the internal tanks such as Kreme... They'll clean & seal the tank...

As Patton mentioned, the in-line fuel filters, no doubt the only way to go... New clear fuel lines are a KZGod send for you can see what the hell is being delivered into your carbs and see if fuel is actually flowing...

Your petcock will also require some cleaning.... Possibly re-building with new gaskets...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 24 Nov 2009 04:03 by Old Man Rock.

More
26 Nov 2009 19:33 #336091 by gigolojoe
Hi,
Thanks everybody for the help. Today I took the tank off and the carbs out of the bike. One of the fuel lines from the tank is clogged and one of the carburetor float bowls was full of a dry white chalky sand. Guess I need to do a rebuild of the carbs or replace them.
Thanks