I done broke me one of them there exhaust studs...

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Nov 2009 06:55 #334058 by cricketfire46
Somehow, some idiot that lives in my house and posts my messages on here(ME), Broke an exaust stud while trying to remove exhaust. I have read all the cool ways to fix this with heli coils, and boring the holes out to 8mm, and all the other nifty tricks. Still havent found an easy trick to pull the broken stud out, yes it is flush. I have read that this is usually a bad thing. I tried a screw extractor, but could not get the whole started. I tried to put a slot in the bolt with a dremel, to use a slot screwdriver, still no luck. Tried another slot to make head a philips, no luck again. Can someone please tell me the easy trick to get this mess sorted out????

83 kz750 ltd, dyna coils, k&n, mac 4->1 just rolled 50k

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2009 07:47 #334065 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic I done broke me one of them there exhaust studs...
is it to where you can set a nut over the broken stud and weld down inside the nut to the top of the stud?
or just keep stacking spot welds on top of each other until you can vise grip it.hth,

leon holmes

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
16 Nov 2009 10:42 #334094 by PLUMMEN
drill a pilot hole in it then use an easy out or left handed drill bit :(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Nov 2009 13:10 #334109 by kawsakiman
or pull the head and take it to a machine shop.
i screwed one up so bad before trying to drill it out i decided to go the j-head route for my " i'm out of funds" project.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
16 Nov 2009 13:29 #334112 by Kawickrice
I have had very good luck with the reverse drill extractor. Start with a small one or use a punch so you can get centered then you will be good to go. Good luck and let use know your results

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
16 Nov 2009 13:48 #334114 by Galactica
Be extremely careful when using an eezee-out type of extractor. In an area where there isn't much meat on the female threaded part you can split the aluminum. The galvanic corrosion (ions passing between two dissimilar metals) can actually weld them together over time. Be very afraid. Try drilling an tapping or use coils. Good luck. I'm having the exact same issues on my 77 kz750,and 76 kz900.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

More
16 Nov 2009 13:51 #334115 by Galactica
Oops. It's a kz650, not a 750

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

More
16 Nov 2009 14:15 #334121 by Locozuna
To me this is the nightmare. Did this once on a Nighthawk S. I then snapped an EZ out off and knew I was in trouble. Dang those things are hard. Tried to drill that out with titanium, cobalt and every other kind of drill. Eventually had a crater. Used alumalloy to rebuild the boss, drilled and tapped and sold the bike a couple years after. Boy I did like that bike. But that snapped exhaust stud was a cluster____! GLuck

I think today I would take it to a machine shop.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
16 Nov 2009 14:34 #334126 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic I done broke me one of them there exhaust studs...
I realize this isn't what you'll want to hear for two reasons but here goes anyways...

1) EZ out may or may not work pending how the exhaust stud broke (angle) or where it broke on the stud...

As mentioned, a little mistake can become costly...

2) A Machine shop would be the preferred method...

Downfall: You have to remove the head thus a new head gasket ($50) will be required as well as the shop fees...

Maybe some close up images of the snapped stud will give all some better ideas for you...

Sorry brother but as we all have had some "Oh Crap no you didn't" in these re-builds...... Poo-Poo, Doo-Doo, Shiza Happens!

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
16 Nov 2009 15:05 #334134 by Galactica
Couple a more tips. When you drill for the eazy out, make sure you drill all the way thru. Use a high quality penetrating oil. Let soak for a few days. Hopefully some of the penetrant will work it's way back. Heat the surrounding aluminum thoroughly with a propane torch then try the eazy out. If the aluminum cracks, JB weld, drill and tap, or remove the head and have it repaired. It's not the end of the world.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Nov 2009 16:02 #334160 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic I done broke me one of them there exhaust studs...
Hopefully that will make it easier for me, with all these ideas. I am at work now so pictures will be later. This whole 24on 48off kinda makes some things just hard to doThe stud is broken flush with the head. I am talking like super duper done by a machine and with in millimeters flush. It is on the #4 top hole. Will attempt some of these ideas. If it all does go south, would a new head work ok? The local jap bike grave yard has all kinds of heads and motors. I plan on trying the welding thing tomorrow, sounds easy enough. Probably will be super hard to do since it sounds so easy. Thanks Guys keep the ideas coming.

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Nov 2009 16:12 #334165 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic I done broke me one of them there exhaust studs...
sorry forgot to say its broken at close to a 90, looks like one big factory piece. Have already broken every sort of drill bit, still cant get that booger drilled out, broken almost every small drill bit I have trying to get a pilot hole started. have a nice little dimple that i can get the ez out started, just cant get enough torque to cut through the metal. What ate those things made of??? is it kryptonite or something