More clutch problems!!! post rebuild

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Nov 2009 14:06 - 11 Nov 2009 14:11 #332886 by cricketfire46
More clutch problems!!! post rebuild was created by cricketfire46
got the starter clutch fixed, got a new basket, hub and all the goodies that go with it. After I got it all back together, it seems like the push rod isnt pushing right. I Checked for the ball, it was there. There is also like a mile of play in the clutch lever, even with the cable all the way in and out nothing changes that part. If anyone has any other idea??? I am kinda leaning towards maybe I have an extra washer in the assembly?? that sound plausible?

83 kz750 ltd, dyna coils, k&n, mac 4->1 just rolled 50k
Last edit: 11 Nov 2009 14:11 by cricketfire46.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
11 Nov 2009 14:52 - 11 Nov 2009 14:56 #332891 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic More clutch problems!!! post rebuild
Anything is plausible with these bikes. ;)

Maybe this will help you:

Do you have a manual to help?

You could have the clutch cover out of allignment, with the rod not properly seated in the cable pull actuator.

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Nov 2009 14:56 by TeK9iNe.

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Nov 2009 15:35 #332902 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic More clutch problems!!! post rebuild
TeK9iNe wrote:

Anything is plausible with these bikes. ;)

Maybe this will help you:

Do you have a manual to help?

You could have the clutch cover out of allignment, with the rod not properly seated in the cable pull actuator.

Do have a clymer manual, put everything back the way it said and in the order it said. There were a couple of washers that were listed that werent on there to begin with. The problem is that It doesnt show the specs of the washers. I think it may just be washers in the wrong order, or possibly an extra in the wrong place.

More
11 Nov 2009 17:30 #332933 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic More clutch problems!!! post rebuild
Sometimes if you have the clutch worm gear arm down in the cases off a tooth or two, the clutch won't work right. You can try moving it a tooth or so to see if it makes any difference. Time consuming but I have done that before and it drives you crazy trying to adjust the clutch when it is like that.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Nov 2009 21:05 #333043 by cricketfire46
racer54 wrote:

Sometimes if you have the clutch worm gear arm down in the cases off a tooth or two, the clutch won't work right. You can try moving it a tooth or so to see if it makes any difference. Time consuming but I have done that before and it drives you crazy trying to adjust the clutch when it is like that.

Sorry not real familiar with all this still. Where is the worm gear? I dont remember seeing one of those in the manual when going through all of that.

More
12 Nov 2009 17:25 #333208 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic More clutch problems!!! post rebuild
It's actually the "lever" your clutch cable is hooked to underneath the cover on the left side of the bike. Just follow the clutch cable down and you will see it. Beings it runs in grooves, it can be installed in just about any angle but if you get it wrong, it puts the lever arm at the wrong angle to get necessary leverage when you pull in the clutch and what feels like a bad clutch, might just be that piece in the wrong slot. I think the manual should tell how to install it right....I think. I did it wrong once and it took a little to figure out what I did. This is a possibility...could be something else but it is something to check.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Nov 2009 17:03 #333700 by cricketfire46
So far no luck with any of this... Did find out that there was a washer missing that caused the problems first mentioned. After finding the washer, I had the clutch adjusted just about right then the 3 bearing roller popped and slipped out of the slots. Several attempts at this and I decided that the new EBC clutch springs were just too much. Put old springs back on and now I cant seem to manage getting the adjustment right. The lever either has half a mile of slack and the clutch stays engaged no matter what, or there is not enough slack on the lever and the clutch stays disengaged no matter what. Please give me some ideas on what to do, I have been playing with the tension for about 4 hours now.