Clutch is torn all to pieces, Help Please!!

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Oct 2009 10:32 - 28 Oct 2009 10:35 #330100 by cricketfire46
Clutch is torn all to pieces, Help Please!! was created by cricketfire46
Sorry this is so long but I am trying to think ahead and answer some of the questions that may be asked.

In the process of taking care of all the little odds and ends that have all decided to show up at once, pulled the clutch cover. Had planned on changing the springs and Checking the plates and getting everything put back together. As is usually my luck that all got screwed. One of the 5 bolts on the basket was free spinning, sure a stripped bolt I can deal with that, only the sleeve that is screws into was snapped off. After finally getting it all out pulled the plates, the basket has a one of the teeth is broken.

Started trying to get the clutch hub off and go to the jap bike graveyard, all i can do is spin the whole assembly. No matter how hard I try it will not come loose. Tried breakover bar and cheater pipe, no luck. Put a penny in the teeth like the clymer manual says, yeah no luck again. I work with the PO asked if they knew anything at all, was told the only maintenance done was oil changes, tires, Regular PM type stuff. I am the third owner of the bike so I know who did it but no clue where the original owner is, or who it was.

Just how screwed am I? Will I be able to take care of this before it gets cold? So far all my issues have been simply solved by the users, is this a common thing or what?

83 kz750 ltd, dyna coils, k&n, mac 4->1 just rolled 50k
Last edit: 28 Oct 2009 10:35 by cricketfire46.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2009 12:17 - 28 Oct 2009 12:19 #330111 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Clutch is torn all to pieces, Help Please!!
find an impact gun air or electric then it will come off easy.yes it is a comman thing if you get an impact you will use it for many things if you don't have air get an electric half inch gun you will be impressed.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE
Last edit: 28 Oct 2009 12:19 by timebomb33.

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Oct 2009 12:47 #330120 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic Clutch is torn all to pieces, Help Please!!
did get it all off, is there a way to fix the basket and hub, or do i need to try to find one somewhere?

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Oct 2009 18:02 #330564 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic Clutch is torn all to pieces, Help Please!!
Problem with shredded clutch solved... auction site that has everything under the sun had baskets for like 50$, Hub, IF you could find it was around the same price, not to mention the plates if i wanted to get them were outrageous. Buddy told me about a salvage yard, (in the middle of no where, literally) Strange enough, I had a class in nowhere today, about 7 miles from the salvage yard. took tools with me and went out there, found a basket and hub in awesome shape, All I had to do was yank them out. Started looking at the bike, the tires were still in real good shape, and the oil in the engine was still nice and clean. This bike also didnt have weeds growing all around it like the others. Decided to ask about it, Someone found it in a family members barn who had just passed away and just gave it to him. while working on getting it pulled, he rummaged around and found reciepts that came with the bike (rather strange I know) this bike had just gotten every bit of the clutch workings re worked with brand new stuff. When it was all said and done, he threw the case back together and got some oil in it. the bike fired right up!!! Cha Ching, talked to him about it, he let me push it to a back corner with all the junk frames and shredded exhaust. I now have a parts bike for myself and a couple of buddies that we can go grab whatever on. 125$ later I have a brand new clutch, and a speedo, been needing one of those for a while but wasnt going to spend a bunch of cash on it. Short version, I made out like a thief, and hopefully by in the morning I will be up and enjoying the first dry day in a while with great riding temperature.

More
30 Oct 2009 18:17 #330568 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Clutch is torn all to pieces, Help Please!!
thats why im always beating the back roads ya never know who/what you will find out there! nice score B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.