Crazy 440 oil leak

More
20 Mar 2006 14:41 #32870 by james2184
Crazy 440 oil leak was created by james2184
Hey all, been a while since I've been here, I like the new look. Anyways, I have an '82 KZ440 G that had been having trouble starting before the winter. I cleaned up the carbs and now it starts and runs well (which is a miracle), but I have another problem. It died on me at a stoplight and when I tapped the carbs to make sure the floats weren't sticking I found the carbs were covered in oil. A little coaxing got me back to my garage where I found that pretty much everything behind the cylinder block was slathered in oil. I suspect that all this oil is spraying out of the breather cover at the top of the engine. I don't have a hose connected to it because I don't have the original air box, I've got pod filters for now.

I remember reading about a similar problem posted about a year or so ago, but forgot what the solution was. I'd appreciate any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2006 14:58 #32877 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Crazy 440 oil leak
Plug the holes in the valve cover. Fashion metal plates. Or plug ends of hose. I know there are covers for the larger KZ valve covers available aftermarket.

More
20 Mar 2006 18:40 #32945 by james2184
Replied by james2184 on topic Crazy 440 oil leak
Seriously? Plugging it up won't have any adverse effects? I think it would be kinda funny to run a hose from the breather in the valve cover right back into the crankcase so that all the oil spewing out goes right back in.

Post edited by: james2184, at: 2006/03/20 22:36

More
20 Mar 2006 19:47 #32959 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Crazy 440 oil leak
for the breather on the top of the tranny, go to an autoparts store get one of the small filters that go inside the aircleaner on a car that the pcv system goes in and mount it to the cover with a piece of hose.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
21 Mar 2006 06:30 #33035 by rammy
Replied by rammy on topic Crazy 440 oil leak
I agree with the filter on the trans they do make a (mini) pod filter that will work on there you can get them at auto zone ,murrys or pepboys.BUT do not block off both as for the crankcase does need to breath.If you do block off both IE:valve cover and vent on trans you will pressurize the crankcase and find ALL KINDS OF LEAKS then.Good luck and happy cleaning

The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

More
21 Mar 2006 08:11 #33057 by james2184
Replied by james2184 on topic Crazy 440 oil leak
Thanks for all the advice, good to know this site still has friendly folks willing to help.