got the bike started! THEN -- big hole in header.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
17 Oct 2009 21:00 #328141 by newOld_kz1000
My main question: as to the whole exhaust system of headers and muffler(s), what year of kz1000's and models (like the standard 'A' models, the LTD models, and the CSR models) have interchangeable exhaust systems? I have a 1978 kz1000 A2 standard model that has (and is jetted for) a 4-into-1 Kerker but the Kerker has a rusted-through header pipe.

Can I look at, say, any exhaust system from, say, 1973-1982 and they will all fit my A2 1978 kz1000?
OR -- can I *only* buy a system that will fit on the '78 bike?

So far I've put much effort into getting my new-to-me 1978 kz1000 started: yanked/cleaned/rejetted/reinstalled carbs, new battery, checked timing, new plugs, went through much rigamarole to verify the 31-year-old GEREX CDI ignition box was working (heck-fire it shore did). New gas lines and inline filters, flushed and cleaned gas tank, disassembled/cleaned/reinstalled the petcock, new oil filter and new engine oil.

Then the waiting was over today. Did I waste all that time and money on parts?

NO -- STARTED RIGHT UP!!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo::woohoo: :woohoo:
:silly: B)

But the bummer is: when it started I felt a HUGE blast of hot air on my feet which where just under the header pipes (it was 75 degrees here in Silicon Valley, that's thongs-and-shorts weather, so the blast hit my bare feet).

It's got a Kerker 4-into-1 on there -- how much would it be $$ to have it welded shut at the hole, or do I need a new exhaust system?

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2009 05:26 #328164 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic got the bike started! THEN -- big hole in header.
If you like the pipe and it's still in good shape just have your local muffler shop weld a small plate over the hole. As long as the metal is fairly solid and accesible. If it's on the bottom you'll never see it anyway. What they will charge is up to them but would guess maybe $20-$40. Plus, if it's a black system then now would be the time for a new paint job while it's off. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
18 Oct 2009 07:59 #328201 by JMKZHI
The diagrams at Kawasaki.com have cross-reference info.
That would be a start.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Oct 2009 09:59 #328228 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic got the bike started! THEN -- big hole in header.
Bluemeanie wrote:

If you like the pipe and it's still in good shape just have your local muffler shop weld a small plate over the hole. As long as the metal is fairly solid and accesible. If it's on the bottom you'll never see it anyway. What they will charge is up to them but would guess maybe $20-$40. Plus, if it's a black system then now would be the time for a new paint job while it's off. ;)

It's a chrome pipe, but the repaint idea is spot on if that wasn't the case -- thanks for the 'muffler shop' tip! Have never been to such a shop but I'll be on the phone Monday to see if they can help. This is a rare system, it's a Kerker system but a rare "Kawasaki By Kerker" 4-into-1. Back in the 70s and early 80s, Kawasaki was known to strike co-marketing deals with outfits like American Turbo Pack (turbo-equipped 750s for example branded by Kaw) and with Kerker.

So I want to keep this exhaust and will have to hope it's repairable. The main reason I didn't find the hole until starting it was -- the entire system looks spotless! Chrome in excellent shape on the headers and the muffler, at least on the topside, and absolutely no dents, no roadrash, and the baffle looks perfect, so I never suspected a rust-through.

It's almost like, you're out on a date with Playboy centerfold, then she tells you "Look, I know you think I'm hot, but -- I have a colostomy bag. Hef managed to airbrush that out of my centerfold pictures." By the excellent looks of it you just wouldn't suspect this pipe was bad.

And thanks to JMKZHI -- I'm going to check that site to see, as a plan B, what other options I have if there's not enough metal there for a weld patch job.

THANKS GUYS!

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Oct 2009 20:10 - 18 Oct 2009 20:12 #328330 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic got the bike started! THEN -- big hole in header.
Well, I checked on the kawasaki.com website and all I can tell from their parts diagrams is that the 1977 and '78 kz1000 have the same exhaust system except for a couple of parts. Not really sure if that tells me that I MUST buy an aftermarket 4-into-1 designed specifically for the '77 or '78 bike, which is what I was after. I'm trying to maybe buy a used 4-into-1 system and I'm finding a lot on ebay, but keep thinking that only looking for a matching year Kerker or V&H or MAC system specifically designed for a 1977-78 kz1000 may be unnecessary. For example I bet the kz1000 frame in '79 and '80 and the exhuast mount points aren't radically different from the '78 bike. And what about the kz1000 police models in the 1990s?

For now, I want to share with you folks the temporary patch I put on so I can make progress on getting the thing running OK whilst deliberating the 'new exhaust vs. weld-a-patch' decision.

I used a role of thick aluminum foil tape, called "WATERPROOFING REPAIR TAPE" made by Nashua. This is a 2"-wide, 10'-long role, don't remember how much I paid for it, I bought it for something I can't remember either.

But it's much thicker than regular aluminum foil, yet still thin enough to shape around an exhaust header pipe.

I wrapped it around the 3"-long, 3/4"-wide rusty hole in my header pipe several times. The adhesive on this metal tape is strong as a mofo. Then I put two wide hose clamps on top of the metal tape wrappings, and presto -- now I moved on to getting the engine running after 12 years (see my thread on "#4 cylinder dropping").

Real handy temp solution if you need to cover a hole. I know the tape isn't cheap, but if you need to make progress on the bike and a hole in the exhaust is stopping you -- it's worth the few bucks. Just FYI.

Last edit: 18 Oct 2009 20:12 by newOld_kz1000.

More
18 Oct 2009 20:30 #328335 by PLUMMEN
73-80 exhuast will work,80s 1000-1100 j motor exhuast will also work

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
19 Oct 2009 06:38 #328376 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic got the bike started! THEN -- big hole in header.
Not sure where under the header pipes depicts....
Meaning, right at the bend as the 4-1 comes under the engine or....

You have an image?

Pending hole location and ruining of chrome, welding may just work on plugging the hole but now without aesthetics Yuck factor....

If the exhaust tip is good, just get the header and be done with it.... You can find these on e-bay, may even be able to obtain from Super-Trapp who now manufacturers the Kerker series....

Just a thought....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Oct 2009 09:24 #328402 by newOld_kz1000
PLUMMEN wrote:

73-80 exhuast will work,80s 1000-1100 j motor exhuast will also work

That was just what the Dr. ordered, thanks Rock, I just knew that Kaw would 'lock in' certain design aspects of the Z1 line to make it easy to develop the model. Thanks.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Oct 2009 09:30 #328404 by newOld_kz1000
Old Man Rock wrote:

Not sure where under the header pipes depicts....
Meaning, right at the bend as the 4-1 comes under the engine or....

You have an image?

Pending hole location and ruining of chrome, welding may just work on plugging the hole but now without aesthetics Yuck factor....

If the exhaust tip is good, just get the header and be done with it.... You can find these on e-bay, may even be able to obtain from Super-Trapp who now manufacturers the Kerker series....

Just a thought....

OMR

Well, when I pulled the system off the bike yesterday to apply a metallic patch to the hole, I discovered my earlier assessment of the condition of the system was partly incorrect. While the upward-facing parts are shiny, there's too much rust on the header section down below. Must have been exposed to a lot more wetness over those 12 years under a cover in the backyard of the prior owner. But the muffler section is nearly perfect!

How can I know just by doing a visual if a Kerker or Super-Trapp set of headers can be swapped in and be a perfect fit for my good-condition muffler?

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 Oct 2009 09:57 #328407 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic got the bike started! THEN -- big hole in header.
Have you thought about wrapping the pipes and leaving the canister alone. The wrapping would cover some of the Frankenstein patches and looks cool when done right

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Oct 2009 10:28 #328415 by newOld_kz1000
Kawickrice wrote:

Have you thought about wrapping the pipes and leaving the canister alone. The wrapping would cover some of the Frankenstein patches and looks cool when done right

Well, I'm not familiar with pipe wrapping -- what kind material is it, and do you have a link for online to look up a source for them? And thanks for the idea! Hadn't occurred to me, didn't know such a thing existed for bike pipes.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 Oct 2009 10:43 #328417 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic got the bike started! THEN -- big hole in header.
newOld_kz1000 wrote:

Kawickrice wrote:

Well, I'm not familiar with pipe wrapping -- what kind material is it, and do you have a link for online to look up a source for them? And thanks for the idea! Hadn't occurred to me, didn't know such a thing existed for bike pipes.

Check this out for a little info
www.bikernet.com/garage/PageViewer.asp?PageID=750

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL