STARTER CLUTCH

More
11 Oct 2009 14:38 #326835 by keith1
STARTER CLUTCH was created by keith1
nice day for a ride..i back it out of garage, hit the button
and just starter spinnage...greeeaaatttt....screw it, kick it and go on my way....
i rebuilt it in june 08 ....first repair i did when i got the bike...apparently not well enough....
i went through my parts pile and it wont cost me a dime to fix it...i have 2 nos springs and caps, a nos 1t and 3t damper and a used 2t....2 good spare rollers and enough springs and caps to make a third one...spare stator,spare rotor, spare clutch housing. used big gear that looks good...cover gasket....i forgot i had half this stuff:woohoo:

i got one question though....being a real rookie when i did it last time, i put red thread locker on bolt going into crankshaft....if i cant get it out by hand, will the impact get it?.....if i heat up bolt head enough to get bolt to break bond, i m gonna toast rotor, correct?....thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2009 14:49 #326836 by chance
Replied by chance on topic STARTER CLUTCH
The impact should get it..

More
12 Oct 2009 11:49 #327071 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic STARTER CLUTCH
all fixed....i saw the problem when i went to remove rotor bolt.....damn thing was loose.....the only thing i can figure there was oil in threads and locker didnt take...manual says 18 ft/lbs and i know i put at least that much to it last time....i rebuilt it since i had cover off....cleaned out threads and bolt and re-assembled with blue locktite...the red locker i put on bolts for clutch housing to rotor did its job....took a little to undo those.......

More
12 Oct 2009 16:25 #327120 by chance
Replied by chance on topic STARTER CLUTCH
Have you been running redline? Every Time I race hard runing red mine comes loose and my starter will just spin I have to kick it off go home and fix it it happened to me 3 times the last time I put a impact on it soooo It hasn't come loose again..

More
12 Oct 2009 17:36 #327131 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic STARTER CLUTCH
bike sees 8500 regularly.....if it happens again, time for the impact.....thinking about it now, i should have hit it today with gun....thanks....keith