Noob over his head with cam chain tensioner

More
06 Oct 2009 08:24 #325806 by Marcus
So, I'm going through the "owners manual" not the shop manual, and I'm planning on checking the cam chain tensioner. The 17mm hex on the cap will not budge, so I undo the two phillips head screws on the tensioner snout and it comes off with the gasket. Problem is, when I go to put it back on, it seems the spring and the end of the pin sticking into the engine have dropped down, causing the pin to be sticking up at an angle. It looks like it needs to be about horizontal for the assembly to go back together, but it doesn't want to move. What do I do now, other than buy a dang shop manual, which I need to do anyway.

Bike is a '76 KZ400 D3

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2009 11:10 #325828 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Noob over his head with cam chain tensioner
Okay, that's what I get for working in a hurry in a dark garage. Got it back together fine.

While we're on the topic of cam chain tensioner adjustment, how much is the pin supposed to move? I don't think mine travels more than a millimeter, if that.

More
06 Oct 2009 11:40 #325830 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Noob over his head with cam chain tensioner
I don't know much about the cam chain tensioner, but it might not be a good idea to start the motor until you're sure it has been reinstalled correctly.

On the KZ650, before removing the tensioner, you're supposed to set the 1,4 pistons at TDC by aligning the timing advancer T mark w the timing mark. Then etc.

More
06 Oct 2009 16:13 #325866 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Noob over his head with cam chain tensioner
I adjusted the tension on my '79 KZ400 once and I don't remember the pin moving very much so a mm sounds about right.

JMKZHI - the twins have a different tensioner setup than the 4 cylinders, it's actually on the front of the engine. It's been several years ago, but I don't remember the manual talking about aligning to TDC....it was more about rotating the crank and feel the maximum distance the "pin" pushed out, then adjust the "adjusting nut" to that position. Might be a little different procedure....that was alot of beers ago. :)

• Iceman Too
  • User
  • Even the finest shoe makes a poor hat
More
06 Oct 2009 16:46 #325871 by Iceman Too
Replied by Iceman Too on topic Noob over his head with cam chain tensioner
There's a manual online at www.kz400.com/ along with lots of other 400 info. Good luck B)

1979 KZ 1300 (Under Repair)
1999 V-Max (Gonna ride it till the Kow comes home)Sold Kow came home
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring
Nova Scotia