• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
26 Sep 2009 09:31 #324067 by cobura
adjusting cam chain on a 1977 kz650 was created by cobura
hey again,
i've begun fixing up my new kz650, and one of the first things i want to do is check the cam chain. The engine has 21,000 kilos on it, so i figured it might be a good idea.

I figured that somewhere on this forum would be a page explaining the process for adjusting a manual cam tensioner, i searched quite a bit and couldnt find anything. Would anyone be so kind to help me or point me in the right direction? Also, how do you know when its time to buy a new cam chain?

1979 KZ650B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2009 10:47 #324070 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic adjusting cam chain on a 1977 kz650
You may get instructions here, but you really should consider buying the Kawasaki Factory Service Manual for your bike. It will save you tons of $$$ and time, and it describes step by step how to perform all the maintenance you will ever need to do on your bike along with a maintenance schedule. It gives instructions for checking to see if items (such as cam chain) are worn beyond service limits. It also gives a description of how each system on your bike works along with (and this IS important) torque specifications for fasteners, where to apply gasket sealants, and where to use locking agents. If you plan to keep the bike a while and do your own maintenance you will also need 2 torque wrenches, small scale and large scale, to do the work properly. You can nearly always find the Kawasaki factory manuals (don’t bother with aftermarket crap like Clymer, Hayes, Joe Deeks, etc.) on eBay. Just be sure to get the specific one for your bike year and model. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 Sep 2009 10:52 #324074 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic adjusting cam chain on a 1977 kz650
It's probably here somewhere, but it's real simple. Take off your right side engine points cover, rotate the engine clockwise until in the position in this picture. Loosen your 6mm locknut on the tensioner, then loosen the bolt a turn or so. Spring pressure in the tensioner takes up slack at this time. Retighten the bolt, the locknut, replace your cover and you're done.
How long chain lasts is debatable. It will eventually stretch and timing may not be spot on, but the chains really don't need replacement in the normal range of miles a KZ650 travels. Yes I replaced mine at 150,000 miles. That's my one and only replacement.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
Attachments:

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
26 Sep 2009 18:10 #324153 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic adjusting cam chain on a 1977 kz650
wow, 150,000 miles! Thats awsome. This kind of picture and explanation is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks again.

1979 KZ650B3