Hot start/cranking problems

More
22 Sep 2009 10:31 #323231 by Frank
Hot start/cranking problems was created by Frank
Hi I have a 1985 ZN750 (ltd750) that i stored for 2 years and started on a regular basis. I just took it out of storage to put back on the road and did the usual: Cleaned carbs, checked valve clearance, changed oil and filter etc.

Now after my first ride out on it, which it ran like the day it was made, i stopped at my buddies for 10 mins and then it wouldn't start with the starter. It seemed like a dead battery so i bumped started it and i was on my way.

Now today i took it out, started fine good voltage from the battery. I drove around for about 20 mins and stopped at the local bike shop. When i came out i tried to start it and it wouldn't even do a whole turn witht the starter. I know this sounds like battery but keep reading. So i try to bump start it in both first and second many times and the engine isn't turning over when i pop it into gear just seems to slip the clutch. So i let it cool down for about 30 mins and then it will turn more with the starter but still needed to be bump started, which now it did.

So something seems to be siezeing when hot? Or thats what it feels like. The bike is making no noises and runs fine once you get it going and idles fine as well.

Anyone ever have something similar or even an idea? Starter or starter clutch jamming perhaps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2009 13:12 #323264 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Hot start/cranking problems
Are you starting in in neutral? If you are trying to start it with it in gear and the clutch in maybe your clutch is not disingaging all the way.

More
22 Sep 2009 14:30 #323278 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Hot start/cranking problems
I've tried both, but found the problem with the starter. nmothing is siezed up but the brushes were holding on by a hair so that solves that. I'm still not sure why it wouldn't turn/ not even skid the tire when i tried to bump it till it cooled down. Thinkin my clutch cable might be adjusted a little tight letting it slip.