V & H Exhaust Customer Review

More
21 Sep 2009 13:16 #323016 by YUKABODOS
V & H Exhaust Customer Review was created by YUKABODOS
Dudes:

I am riding in Calgary at 1000m above sea level with a stock set up. I ordered a megaphone last Tuesday and it showed up on Friday. I had the stock exhaust off and the new one on in about 2 hours, working carefully not to scratch the chrome.

I used greese to hold the new crush ghaskets in the head and small rubber bands to hold the keepers on the pipes while wrestling the header into the exhaust ports. I used the kawasaki keepers, as the keepers that were supplied were junk.

The new pipe looks and sounds fantastic. The sound is louder on takeoff and under hard acceleration, but while cruising at lower rpm's it is quite quiet, almost as quiet as the stock system, which I sort of miss. The only thing I will need to do is get a logo machined to cover up the
V & H logo, simply because I hate the name and the logo itself. The pipe, however, is a great improvement.

THe noticable differences are sound and the apparant power increase around 2500 - 5500 RPM. It now has a powerband, it seems, that runs from 2500 / 3000 to 8000RPM. I am happy with the way it has affected the performance of my bike.

My current set up (with recently tuned timing, points, carb sync) is stock. Airbox and jets are standard.

So my opinion of the V and H pipe is:
9/10 for looks (The header has not blued or turned gold underhard riding. I do hate the logo)
8/10 for sound (Kerker may sound a little better, but I saved 200 bucks.)
7/10 for installation, -3 for keepers that did not work at all. pointless to even send them to me.
8/10 performance.

Overall an 8 out of 10. I would reccomend this pipe for anyone looking to buy a new 4 into 1 but is not willing to drop 500+ US for one. The neat thing is the Canadian dollar is so strong now that it was hard to pass up.

Yukabodos Buddy!!!
:blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
21 Sep 2009 14:21 #323033 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
With the stock jets they will be turning blue soon.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
21 Sep 2009 14:33 - 21 Sep 2009 14:34 #323040 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
I was thinking that at 1 km above sea level where the air is thinner that the bike wouldn't run all that lean or lean at all.

My original problem was the bike was running too rich.

I guess time will tell.

Yukabodos Buddy!!!
:blink:
Last edit: 21 Sep 2009 14:34 by YUKABODOS. Reason: spelling

More
21 Sep 2009 14:48 #323043 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
no matter if jetting is on, they will turn blue an inch or two out from head and a nice gold color for another 7-8 inches after that.....at least mine did...

More
21 Sep 2009 14:49 #323044 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
keith1 wrote:

no matter if jetting is on, they will turn blue an inch or two out from head and a nice gold color for another 7-8 inches after that.....at least mine did...

Attachments:

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
21 Sep 2009 15:16 #323046 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
Mine were fine untill I installed the baffle. It was jetted for open exhaust so the baffle choked it and they turned blue pretty quick

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
21 Sep 2009 16:34 #323056 by Buda
Replied by Buda on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
I like mine quite a bit. I had none of the problems I've heard about other than the blueing and I like that. :woohoo:
Tom

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
21 Sep 2009 16:45 #323058 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
Yo, Yukabodos, where did order the pipes from? I live in canada too. What was shipping? like 60 bucks?

More
21 Sep 2009 17:05 #323065 by Davestradamus
Replied by Davestradamus on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
I have been happy with my v&h. Although I wanted more noise so I cut half the fiberglass out of the baffle. It's much better now. Cheers! [img]

More
21 Sep 2009 19:17 #323103 by chance
Replied by chance on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
After 100 miles mine turned to Gold I think they are worth more now. Same system thats pictured they didn't come with collars I had to use my old ones . I took the tiny baffle out. this is them with 50 miles on em there gold now..

More
21 Sep 2009 20:44 #323125 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
I've been using V&H pipes for many years. Yea...they blue up and turn gold and other various colors but unless you find a double-tube pipe, you are going to have that. The fit has always been good for me. I think the chrome is a little thin and would like it to be thicker but over-all, I don't complain about them...much. Keep the header clean and it will last a good long time. Be sure to wipe it out down between the pipes as they come together under the motor. They have a tendency to rust in that area fairly quick. That is my only complaint with the pipe. They are a quiet pipe unless you modify the baffle by cutting off some of the packing or taking it out completely. Not sure if they sell different baffles for a V&H though. Kerker has much better chrome but are much higher priced to go along with it.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
22 Sep 2009 03:18 #323170 by Buda
Replied by Buda on topic V & H Exhaust Customer Review
There is a comp baffle for the street megaphone. :woohoo:
Tom

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard