Mac exhaust systems

More
21 Sep 2009 11:41 #323006 by Tommotbird
Mac exhaust systems was created by Tommotbird
Hi, can anyone tell me if Mac exhaust systems are any good as I keep reading mixed reports here on the site.

I have a couple of new systems that I have bought for KZ750 Ltd's, they have the turn out mufflers. I imported one set from the USA (to UK) and they cost about 200 dollars plus shipping. The second set I bought here in the UK for 80 pounds sterling which I thought was a great deal.

I had assumed that made in the USA was OK!!!!

Also how do they sound when they are fitted- loud or not!

Tommotbird

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2009 13:01 #323013 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Mac exhaust systems
I have a MAC on my 750 twin that I bought well used. The steel actually seems very thick and solid. Had some leaks becausse it was used and I didn't seal the pipe joints (I should have) but the leaks went away as the rust filled them in from the inside....:laugh:

Overall:

The MAC performs about like a stock pipe and jets about the same. The sound is a deep roar and not an obnoxious howl like many pipes. It is not too loud, seems about right to me. Definitely won't get you pulled over and written up.

Overall, it's a decent pipe but it will not increase performance like some of the tuned headers with low restriction baffles will.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Sep 2009 18:39 #323090 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Mac exhaust systems
Depending on what system you bought. Just like any other system you get what you pay for I purchased and installed a 400.00 Mac exhaust for my friend's 77 CB750K they sound good.He said his bike seems faster but I don't know about that I think they were nice.They fit good and look good no problems.The sound is nice for an unbaffeled Muffler.Thats pretty cheap for a good mac system.Very simular to a compairable V&H system..Just remember you get what you pay for Mac makes some better more expencive systems like all header co's

More
22 Sep 2009 10:47 #323233 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Mac exhaust systems
Yeah, I find the Macs vary a lot from model to model. On some bikes, the Mac is very close to stock, but on others it's very different.

The one for my 550 was very loud compared to the stock one and had a very "tin-can" sound to it. I also had to up-jet quite a bit to get it to run smooth.

More
22 Sep 2009 14:49 #323280 by likes2gofast2009
Replied by likes2gofast2009 on topic Mac exhaust systems
I have a mac pipe with a 4-1 kerker header and I think it sounds pretty good, not loud enough for me, Im gonna pull the baffle out... But its got a nice deep exhaust tone at idle, and screams up top in the rpms.

1980 KZ1000 LTD "Brandi"
4-1 Kerker
Dyna Coils
More to come this winter!

More
22 Sep 2009 18:06 - 22 Sep 2009 18:07 #323345 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Mac exhaust systems
I have a black Mac 4->1 on my 750. It was on the bike when I bought it 7 years ago. Solid as a rock. I like the sound which is a good deep muted roar. Loud enough for me without being obnoxiously noise polluting.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 22 Sep 2009 18:07 by JR.