Car oil. Have i killed my clutch?

More
20 Sep 2009 15:03 #322797 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Car oil. Have i killed my clutch?
I have used Castrol oil in all my vehicles until this year.

Now i use Rotella. When the formula was changed awhile back i switched. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2009 01:10 #322945 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Car oil. Have i killed my clutch?
I worked in a fast lube place about 20 years ago and you could tell when a car came in that used Pennzoil. It was always gummed up and had had kind of a sweet smell when you popped off the oil filler cap. Inside the valve cover was always gunked up and the motors all leaked. Since then it's been Castrol in everything I have owned.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
22 Sep 2009 14:52 #323281 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Car oil. Have i killed my clutch?
Now I had the impression that maybe you were 30, 35. Forty at most. Just how old are you?
Kawickrice wrote:

I read something somewhere years ago that Castrol GTX was used recycled oil. Is there any truth to this? It really does not matter to me as I have used Castrol GTX 20W-50 for 30 years, from my cars and trucks, to my bikes, to my moped, to my scooter, to my lawnmower, to my generator, to my hand pump oil can in my garage. Never had an oil related problem on any of the above.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
22 Sep 2009 15:03 #323286 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Car oil. Have i killed my clutch?
Well I am glad to know you guys all ride with car oil in your bikes. It is what I was told when I first started riding and I have always used Castrol GTX as I was told it was the best oil to use but I have friends who work on bikes for a living that would not feed me a line and told me that they have taken many engines down running car oil and running bike oil and they swear by using bike oil. I really don't know to be honest. Yeah, I think motorcycle everything is way over-priced but if there is some logic to it then I am in for the bike oil over the car oil.
Once again it may not make such a difference but the big difference is replacing the oil and not being lazy about it. Bad oil is bad oil and can ruin an engine with a quickness.;)

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
22 Sep 2009 18:11 #323348 by Buda
Replied by Buda on topic Car oil. Have i killed my clutch?
donthekawguy wrote:

I worked in a fast lube place about 20 years ago and you could tell when a car came in that used Pennzoil. It was always gummed up and had had kind of a sweet smell when you popped off the oil filler cap. Inside the valve cover was always gunked up and the motors all leaked. Since then it's been Castrol in everything I have owned.

I worked at an oil change place about 8 years ago and I saw some weird sh!t with the Pennzoil. Alot of the time when I took the oil cap off there would be yellow foam inside of the oil cap :blink: (foam cant be good). Only the cars that use pennzoil. Valvoline and castrol seamed to look the best.
Tom

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard

More
22 Sep 2009 22:11 #323429 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Car oil. Have i killed my clutch?
Buda wrote:

donthekawguy wrote:
I worked at an oil change place about 8 years ago and I saw some weird sh!t with the Pennzoil. Alot of the time when I took the oil cap off there would be yellow foam inside of the oil cap

My dad managed a service station back in the early 70's. I remember there was a rap on Pennzoil back then. I believe it was because the viscosity enhancers were parrafin based or some wierd thing and at very high temp they would turn into foamy slime. I think it's OK oil for normal service, but under extreme temps it doesn't work right.

1979 KZ-750 Twin