Kick starter Question

More
14 Sep 2009 15:02 #321629 by OregonMatt
Kick starter Question was created by OregonMatt
So my bike has a few issues. I went on a long ride about a month back, and on the second day some wiring problem presented itself and I had to truck it back. While looking down this wiring problem (still haven't found it) during this process I tried kicking it over. The kick starter seems to just spin. It clicks like it is supposed to when returning to the top position. I was freaked out about the thing having lost compression, and not having a working electric starter, I pulled the points cover and turned the engine. It still has compression. Any ideas? would an electrical problem in the ignition cause this? any help would be great.

1976 kz 900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2009 15:25 #321635 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Kick starter Question
I hope nobody chews me out again on here so my comment is only me talking. DO NOT TRUST MY ADVICE.but Mine had the same problem and I asked how to kick start my bike.. Boy did I get the 100 degree.........Couldn't set down for a month. Any way they straighten me out. So now I know how to kick start it. I that is ME MYSELF AND I make sure its in neutral ,key on,choke on,gas on and it will kick over. ANY other gear and cluch pulled in will make it move forward while kicking it over. PLEASE DONT CHEW ME OUT FOR TRYING TO HELP. THAT IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME MYSELF AND I.Why yours turns freely is still a question THE SMART ONES WILL ANSWER.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
14 Sep 2009 16:01 #321646 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Kick starter Question
If your kicking it while holding the clutch in it will do as you decribe, just free wheel. Clutch MUST be engaged in order to turn engine over. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
14 Sep 2009 18:18 #321682 by OregonMatt
Replied by OregonMatt on topic Kick starter Question
I am no where near the the clutch when it's doing this. and I do know how to properly kick start it. The clutch cable seemed pretty tight, I was checking the wires that got to the starter, I wonder it the cable so tight that it is engaging the the clutch. I am no way offended by the question about knowing how to kick start. When I first got the bike, I once spent 20 minutes trying to kick it over because the electric start wasn't working, turned out I had moved the kill switch from run to off and didn't know.:blush:

1976 kz 900

• ArthurGoVroom
  • User
  • I'd rather ride it than shine it
More
14 Sep 2009 20:02 #321706 by ArthurGoVroom
Replied by ArthurGoVroom on topic Kick starter Question
I struggled on the side of the road one day trying to kick start mine because the electric starter wouldn't work...gotta have the switch in the run position dummy! (directed at myself) You're not the only one :)

As for the kicking...it's not loose on the splined shaft going into the engine, is it? If not, I'd suspect you have to pull the clutch cover and have a look at things.

1976 KZ900A4, 4-1 header, rear lowering kit, grab bar removed, still shining and painting parts as time permits