confused

• krazinite2003
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Sep 2009 12:26 #321355 by krazinite2003
confused was created by krazinite2003
good day all i have a question for ya i have an 83 kz750 L3
stock as far as i know so far it has bin a good ride the bike was given to me in boxes i have put it back together and im happy with what i got its my first bike ever
now for the problem when i start it for the first time i was the choke on full it fires up rite a way now if i used the throttle it will kick into high idle around 4k if i use no throttle it will idle at about 600 i try not to use the throttle as i dont think 4k is good for a cold motor after it starts i don my helmet light a smoke mount the bike i finish my smoke about 7mins i shut off the choke motor dies i start the bike with full choke as it wont start with out it motor starts i move choke to half motor wont run unless i hold throttle in the right spot to hold rpm at 1k if i use too much throttle it will rev up to 3k holding throttle in right spot i put into gear
drive a way ride for about 5 more mins shot chock off motor will not idle that good if at all so i feather throttle if i have to stop after about another 5 mins of riding the bike will idle at about 11k. well that is the problem i hope i have provided enough info any help would be great

thanx in advance

i have two 1983 kz750 L3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2009 12:53 #321356 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic confused
I read here on this site before with a simular problem. Everybody told him to make sure you adjust your idle stop screw to make it idle around 1000 rpms. Your Tach is most likely not correct as they will show aprox. Also you should Never use the throttle grip while the bike is idleing with the choke ON. Methed to start properly is Mount the bike and level it, turn gas valve on, Raise choke lever up all the way,key on, clutch lever pulled in,Push start button, and wall laah starts, then with bike in nutral clutch out left hand adjust choke lever until reaches an idle around 1200-1800 rpms hopefully it will idle around there until it gets warmed up in a few minutes. Never givr it gas with choke on. The choke is all you need .....

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
13 Sep 2009 13:18 #321358 by will61310
Replied by will61310 on topic confused
mzandmz wrote:

I read here on this site before with a simular problem. Everybody told him to make sure you adjust your idle stop screw to make it idle around 1000 rpms. Your Tach is most likely not correct as they will show aprox. Also you should Never use the throttle grip while the bike is idleing with the choke ON. Methed to start properly is Mount the bike and level it, turn gas valve on, Raise choke lever up all the way,key on, clutch lever pulled in,Push start button, and wall laah starts, then with bike in nutral clutch out left hand adjust choke lever until reaches an idle around 1200-1800 rpms hopefully it will idle around there until it gets warmed up in a few minutes. Never givr it gas with choke on. The choke is all you need .....

???? :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: Are your carbs synced/valves adjusted properly? Those are the first 2 things id look at..

...1980 LTD 1000...

More
13 Sep 2009 19:13 - 13 Sep 2009 19:21 #321440 by JR
Replied by JR on topic confused
The L3 is a nice bike. It should be well warmed up and idling at about 1100rpm by the time you are halfway through your smoke.

When you rebuilt it did you check the compression and adjust the valve clearances if necessary ? The ignition is electronic so not much you can do about that. If the compression is good and the valves are good and you are happy you have good plugs and spark then the next question is did you cleanout the carbs ? The fact you have to run so long on choke and have poor idle without the choke would make me suspicious that the pilot jets in the carbs could be blocked or dirty. Does it run ok at speed ? Is it original or did you make any mods to it like exhaust or pod filters ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 13 Sep 2009 19:21 by JR.

More
13 Sep 2009 19:25 #321443 by mzandmz
I wish my wife was hard to start, I'd love to choke her.:laugh: .:laugh: .:laugh: :angry: .:laugh: :dry: .:blink:

• krazinite2003
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Sep 2009 06:52 #321528 by krazinite2003
Replied by krazinite2003 on topic confused
no mods to the bike and after i finish my smoke i drive away and while im driving the bike runs fine it just wont idle until i have ridin for anout ten min or so then it will idle no problem

i have two 1983 kz750 L3

More
14 Sep 2009 09:30 #321551 by mzandmz
I am SORRY if my first reply didn't give any information that could help. I hope someone on here will give you what you need to fix your problem.. My reply was on What others told me when I had a simular problem, And My carbs were dirty inside and not sync'd yet. Now they are and my reply above is how my bike starts now. THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED ME OUT.

More
14 Sep 2009 16:56 #321668 by JR
Replied by JR on topic confused
krazinite2003 wrote:

no mods to the bike and after i finish my smoke i drive away and while im driving the bike runs fine it just wont idle until i have ridin for anout ten min or so then it will idle no problem

Still a long time to reach steady idle with no choke.
So. Did you check the valves and clean the carbs ?
I'm also going to ask a really dumb question here - is it running on all 4 cylinders ? If you spit or spray water on each exhaust header does it sizzle right off immeadiately ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust