Buying an '81 KZ550

More
13 Sep 2009 06:54 #321282 by aventura
Buying an '81 KZ550 was created by aventura
Bike is near mint with only 12,000 on it. Looks and sounds great-any problems that they have that I should be aware of/look into? I noticed the engine runs a bit noisy-is this standard for this bike or might it just need an adjustement? Are they known for cam chain problems?

Does anyone have an idea of what these bikes typically sell for? Checked eBay and all the usual spots and could find only 1 for sale!

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2009 08:12 #321296 by kawasakifreak77
Replied by kawasakifreak77 on topic Buying an '81 KZ550
Every kawasaki I've throw a leg over had a noisy engine. Both the 650's I've had made lots of noise & that 550 is just a miniaturized version of a 650. Even when my 636 was brand spank'n new it made a lot of noise. I think it's just a kawasaki thing, I've gotten used to it.

More
13 Sep 2009 09:29 - 13 Sep 2009 09:32 #321322 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Buying an '81 KZ550
aventura wrote:

Bike is near mint with only 12,000 on it. Looks and sounds great-any problems that they have that I should be aware of/look into? I noticed the engine runs a bit noisy-is this standard for this bike or might it just need an adjustement? Are they known for cam chain problems?

Does anyone have an idea of what these bikes typically sell for? Checked eBay and all the usual spots and could find only 1 for sale!

Thanks!

The cam chain noise is pretty common. The damage to the cam chain, guides, and tensioner are usually owner-created problems. Very very few people, including Kawasaki factory mechanics, know that you absolutely should not bolt on the valve cover without releasing the cam chain tension. The bikes with hy-vo camchains use the valve cover as the upper guide which presses down on the chain in between the cams. If you bolt the cover on after the chain is tensioned, you stretch the chain as you force the cover down.

At idle, when the bike is cold, it is common to have a little clunky noise down low. That is the primary chain slap from a low, rough idle. It usually goes away as the motor warms and idles faster.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2009 09:32 by loudhvx.

More
13 Sep 2009 09:53 #321324 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Buying an '81 KZ550
Alright! Do you have any pics? Is it a Standard model or LTD?

The Kz550 is a great bike. If it is a good as you say it should be a good buy! I would say $1000-1500 for a mint bike.

As Lou said when the motor is cold mine makes a little more noise but goes away once warmed up. If it is still there when warm it may need the valves adjusted and /or the carbs synched.

Can't wait to see some picsB)

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]