cam timing help needed on a z650-f2

More
13 Sep 2009 02:02 #321251 by Aumriff
cam timing help needed on a z650-f2 was created by Aumriff
Hi all, I hope someone here can help me.

My manual states that the exhaust cam mark (z6ex) lines up with the cylinder head surface at the front and the intake mark (IN)lines up with the head surface, pointing towards the carbs. The pin count from the EX mark to the IN mark should be 45/46 pins. Now, here's the problem....

Both of my cam sprockets look nothing like the manuals' version. Each of mine have an EX mark with an arrow next to it, an Arrow on its own and an Arrow with a T next to it. The link pin count is 36 from front of cylinder head surface to back of head surface. I've tried various combinations of cam positions using the different marks. I've either had valves hitting each other when hand cranking or if the valves don't collide and I run the engine it back fires through the carbs. Please could someone shed some light on my problem? How many link pins from one mark to the other and which marks do I actually use? Any help would be appreciate.

KZ650 F2 (1981 UK/Euro model)
K+N Pods, Marshall 4-1 exhaust

Living in the UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2009 04:45 #321255 by chance
Replied by chance on topic cam timing help needed on a z650-f2
This is how it is supposed to be set up for my kz 650. (The yellow horizontal lines on the cam sprockets and the dot on the pins) Your cam chain pin count will likely be different than mine.This is from another post

More
13 Sep 2009 07:43 #321291 by Aumriff
Replied by Aumriff on topic cam timing help needed on a z650-f2
Thanks for the picture. I'll go to the shed now and try to reset the cams as shown in the photo. I can't quite make out if the arrows are the ones with 'T' next to them or the arrows that are on there own but I'll take an educated guess at which arrow is correct going by the cam lobe position in the photo for cylinders 1 and 3. I'll be back on here later to thank you once again if it works or to ask for more help if it doesn't.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Living in the UK

More
14 Sep 2009 06:10 #321524 by Aumriff
Replied by Aumriff on topic cam timing help needed on a z650-f2
Timing problem solved. Running well apart from a bit of fuel spitting back out of the carbs into the pods. Thanks for your help with this. Off to the Carb threads to see if I can solve the fuel spitting problems.

Living in the UK