clutch adjustment help for '82 kz1000ltd?

More
10 Sep 2009 17:23 - 10 Sep 2009 17:25 #320522 by BigShow
mind u im not very mechanical but I tried adjusting the clutch exactly like the manual says cuz it seemed pretty straightforward...shortened the mid-cable adjuster, took locknut and adjuster by the handle out about 1/4" and loosened locknut and turned the adjusting screw and then repeated the opposite back up to the handle but now when im done it feels a lot more loose than it did before and won't engage into gear...i've repeated the steps several times and can't seem to figure out where im going wrong..the clutch handle wont tighten up and it wont kick into first gear...plz help, im getting very frustrated!:angry:
Last edit: 10 Sep 2009 17:25 by BigShow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2009 06:09 #320890 by chance
Replied by chance on topic clutch adjustment help for '82 kz1000ltd?
Adjust the cable longer so you can feel the clutch pull see if it will go in gear if it does then your clutches should be good. If you lenthen the cable it should tighten the clutch at the lever..

More
12 Sep 2009 07:01 - 12 Sep 2009 07:02 #320911 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic clutch adjustment help for '82 kz1000ltd?
Maybe I miss understood but no mention of the push rods itself adjustment....

Try this...

For cables, both at mid cable and at left handle bar clutch control... Loosen all the way in on both...

Then the push rod procedure... Tip...
When turning back in the push rod adjustment screw, just when you feel it make contact, lock her down... I had similar issues where the manuals say until hard then back out 1/4 turn or whatever...

Plummen taught me this trick where just when she makes contact, lock her down and go from there... ;)

Then follow the procedure for cable adjustments....

Here's for my KZ900, should be about the same....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Sep 2009 07:02 by Old Man Rock.

More
12 Sep 2009 07:16 - 12 Sep 2009 07:38 #320919 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic clutch adjustment help for '82 kz1000ltd?
BigShow wrote:

mind u im not very mechanical but I tried adjusting the clutch exactly like the manual says cuz it seemed pretty straightforward...shortened the mid-cable adjuster, took locknut and adjuster by the handle out about 1/4" and loosened locknut and turned the adjusting screw and then repeated the opposite back up to the handle but now when im done it feels a lot more loose than it did before and won't engage into gear...i've repeated the steps several times and can't seem to figure out where im going wrong..the clutch handle wont tighten up and it wont kick into first gear...plz help, im getting very frustrated!:angry:

Hello, Josh, and WELCOME to KZR! :)
We're glad you're here! :cheer:

There are two aspects to clutch adjustment.

One aspect is with the cable, which you mentioned and are already addressing. It deals with the vsible screw adjustments where the cable joins the lever, and with the mid-cable adjuster near the exhaust header pipes. These adjusters control amount of slack allowed between the inner cable and the outside sheath.

The other aspect of clutch adjustment, not mentioned in your post, is the clutch push-rod adjustment. This is a routine maintenance item, quick and easy to perform, but sometimes neglected. The clutch push-rod adjuster is located under an access cap provided on the sprocket cover (above the foot shift lever).

The push-rod adjustment helps assure that the clutch remains tightly engaged when the handlebar lever isn't being squeezed. And also helps assure that the clutch disengages (plates spreads apart) when the handlebar lever is squeezed.

The manual usually includes a section about the clutch push-rod adjustment. It would include first removing the access cap. Then the lock nut and adjusting screw is visible (slotted end of the adjusting screw).

Loosen the lock-nut.

Turn the screw a little to loosen it, then screw it in until it's lightly seated. Here, the other end of the adjustment screw is touching the clutch push-rod.

NOTE -- on later style adjusters, the screw turns counter-clockwise to tighten against the push-rod. Reportedly, some aftermarket manuals are wrong about which way to turn the screw.

Next, unscrew the adjustment screw 1/2 turn, to allow the necessary slight gap between the other end of the adjustment screw and the clutch push-rod.

Hold the screw in place with screwdriver, and snug down the lock nut. Replace the access cap onto the sprocket cover.

Re-adjust the two external cable sheath adjusters (handlebar at clutch lever, and mid-cable near exhaust header pipes).

If the problem persists, repeat the procedure, but turn the clutch push-rod adjusting screw in the opposit directions to move it closer to or away from the clutch push-rod (even if contrary to instructions in the manual).

Good Luck! :)

Pretend OMR did not beat me to the punch in this thread! :pinch: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Sep 2009 07:38 by Patton.