Another KZ650 Noise question

• newbikekiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Mar 2006 16:44 #32052 by newbikekiller
Another KZ650 Noise question was created by newbikekiller
Hi All.
I just did a valve job on my 1983 KZ650 CSR. Poor performance, backfiring, and valve clatter lead me to believe the valves were a little "tight" (too little clearance). So anyway I adjusted the valves and ended up with valves that I believe are between 0.13-0.18mm (I could be wrong, it's the first time I did the valve clearance thing on anything but the KZ400 with the screw and tappet type valves.) There is a possibility that the valve clearance is slightly too LARGE now (overcompensation).

Here is the deal. Now that I've done the valve job what I THOUGHT was valve clatter has just got louder. There is a consistent tick, that exactly coincides with RPM (and you can hear the tick anywhere from 1K-5K, I think the exhaust whine from the kerker covers it up past there). I could swear that the noise is coming from the right side of the engine...

But the problem only gets weirder from there, my engine is running great and on all cylinders when its warm, but for a half a minute or so the no. 2 cylinder does not fire. DURING this time, the tick noise is inaudible/nonexistent.

HELP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• newbikekiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Mar 2006 16:47 #32053 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic Another KZ650 Noise question
my engine has about 27K on the clock.
I think my camchain tensioner is automatic, but I can't tell from my manual if it is/isn't (it is NOT the same tensioner that came on the bike, but it looks the exact same from the outside... dunno)
Just in case thats important

• newbikekiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Mar 2006 21:44 #33281 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic Another KZ650 Noise question
Well just for the group's information I found out the problem.

My No. 2 cylinder's exhaust port has a lousy connection to the header, just a little ticking noise that sounds like something a lot worse than it is. I probably won't worry about it until I put my 700cc kit (hopefully, if he didn't sell it) from reborn650 in!

Even though no one responded to this, your efforts to help others in the past lead me to the problem, so thanks again KZR!!!

NBK

More
22 Mar 2006 15:52 #33456 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Another KZ650 Noise question
I had seen your post a while back, but did not answer hoping someone else might have a better idea than I.

I do find my engine makes what I think to be too much tick and noise, but have found others have mentioned the same thing and that it is normal, to an extent, for our engines.

Check the spark plug connections for the #2 cylinder to try and solve your non firing issue. You could swap plugs as well to check if it's a bad plug.

I'm not as familiar with the '83 either, as far as what changes were made, etc.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/03/22 18:54

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
22 Mar 2006 16:19 #33467 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Another KZ650 Noise question
i also think that these things sound what id call busy!!! as long as they run ok whats the problem?...steve

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
22 Mar 2006 18:59 #33537 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Another KZ650 Noise question
fixer5000 wrote:

as long as they run ok whats the problem?...steve

While some noises are normal, others could be the start of a problem, always good to check out the new noises, even if it runs ok. it may run ok for awhile, then go kaboom...

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH