First steps? Clutch or something else?

More
09 Sep 2009 11:47 #320168 by shitimdumb
First steps? Clutch or something else? was created by shitimdumb
32k on an 81` kz650.

About 500 miles ago I put regular synthetic oil into the engine (I know, I know) and noticed about 200 miles later the bike would "slip" under any spirited acceleration. I'm not sure if it's something caused by the clutch slipping, or possibly the original chain that's still on the bike. The chain seems to have a lot of slack in it. I changed the oil to motorcycle oil but it's still slipping. I don't know much, and the clymer manual isn't made for the regular joe.

Where do I need to start?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2009 13:40 #320202 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic First steps? Clutch or something else?
It isn't the synthetic but the friction reducers in oil that can make a clutch slip, but it's rare. If the can has the "energy saving" label, they are in the oil. How many miles on the bike?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Sep 2009 13:43 #320203 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic First steps? Clutch or something else?
I'd say it's the oil, give it some more miles before changing it again. maybe your clutch needs adjustment... You have to tell us what you've done to the bike and what you're capable of doing. Clymer is made for the regular joe, btw; I'm sure you can handle most maintenance repairs.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
09 Sep 2009 14:47 - 09 Sep 2009 14:59 #320214 by shitimdumb
Replied by shitimdumb on topic First steps? Clutch or something else?
The bike has 32k miles on it. The oil I put in it was mobile 1 15-30 I believe.

Recent repairs include replacement of clutch cable (2k ago), throttle cable (yesterday), battery, air filter, front brakes (1.5k ago).... that's all I can think of at the moment. I haven't done any type of engine maintenance.

Another thing I'd like to address in this post is the smell of gas when the bike is garaged. I know there's a slow gas leak. I'm not sure where but all the rubber needs to be replaced. Which tubing/parts do I need to replace on the bike for this?
Last edit: 09 Sep 2009 14:59 by shitimdumb.

More
09 Sep 2009 15:01 #320217 by cruspeed
Replied by cruspeed on topic First steps? Clutch or something else?
be sure your clutch cable is adjusted correctly, about 1/8 inch gap when you pull in the lever where it pivots but just be sure it's not completely tight when you first start to move the lever meaning that is clutch is partially disengauged all the time.

Like OKC_Kent said it may have alot to do with the oil, if you change it out and it's still sliping then it will be your clutch, easy repair but you may want to sand down your friction plates alittle with high grit sandpaper before putting them back into the clutch basket.

78 KZ1000 project X 2

More
09 Sep 2009 15:03 #320218 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic First steps? Clutch or something else?
Carefully check clutch cable adjustmentS. In 2,000 miles it could easily have stretched enough to cause problems.

Though the chain needs to be properly adjusted, it's not likely to slip unless the sprocket teeth are nearly gone.

I, personally, have experienced no problems with Mobil1 in my bikes. When I sold it, my '92 Concours had over 60,000 miles on the original clutch swimming in Mobil1 with no slippage at all. Others will surely disagree.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
09 Sep 2009 15:13 #320220 by lapeerray
Replied by lapeerray on topic First steps? Clutch or something else?
check your clutch adjustment, I changed my handle bars once and had to adjust my clutch.

78kz650b2, 2009 kawasaki 25 hp Oturn John Deere with a 62" cut I had to have it. It was green and was powered by KAWI...,78 yamaha golfcar, Gone but not forgoten 82 v65 magna, 89 1200 Vmax, 72 GS380GT mint with 2000m.grandfather baught brand new in 72

More
09 Sep 2009 15:28 #320224 by shitimdumb
Okay I will try adjusting the clutch... I'm guessing I adjust it so that in 1/8th inches of pull the clutch begins to disengage?

Another thing I'd like to address in this post is the smell of gas when the bike is garaged. I know there's a slow gas leak. I'm not sure where but all the rubber needs to be replaced. Which tubing/parts do I need to replace on the bike for this?

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
09 Sep 2009 16:02 #320236 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic First steps? Clutch or something else?
shitimdumb wrote:

The gas tank is vented to the air thru the filler cap. A bike left in a garage will usally put out a gas smell.

How do you know theres a slow leak? Because its dumping on the ground? If gas is leaking into the cylinders, that is very bad, and should be addressed immediately.

You don't really need to replace any rubber unless it has become brittle/cracked, or no longer seals properly.

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
09 Sep 2009 16:07 - 09 Sep 2009 16:09 #320237 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic First steps? Clutch or something else?
Open the manual and adjust the clutch exactly the way they say; it's more than just setting an 1/8" measurement. There are at least 4-5 different things to do to adjust a clutch.

You say you don't know where it's leaking from, but can't you narrow it down for us? We are at our laptops a thousand miles away, not at your side in the garage. Does your tank have a pinhole? Do you have the vacuum petcock? Is it coming from the carb overflows???

What rubber needs replacing? Intake system?? Brake hoses?? Tires?? gas cap gasket??

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 09 Sep 2009 16:09 by OKC_Kent.

More
09 Sep 2009 16:19 #320243 by shitimdumb
I wish I knew more... I really don't. I only figured there was a leak because when garaged the smell of gas in the morning was very evident... all the rubber looks like it needs to be replaced as it's brittle and beginning to crack. When I say rubber I mean hoses. I do have a vacuum petcock.
I don't know a whole lot about engines, you'll have to cut me some slack guys.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Sep 2009 16:20 #320245 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic First steps? Clutch or something else?
do you shut off your gas at night.....2. follow the clymer and adjust the clutch actuator on the engine...(bottom of cable)...then the cables central turnbuckle...(midway up the cable) then finally at the lever...do the cable and lever again after every ride untill it feels right everytime...leave the lever with a tad of play..it may change as you ride.......shut off the gas when parking.....then tackle the fuel after your clutch works it self out and you adjust your chain.....if the clutch doesnt fix you may need new friction plates...which also is covered in the manual and you can get em easy online and doit yourself it is a 3 or 4 on a one to ten for newer bike workers and is not so bad at all....you'll get it don't worry ..it can be fixed...good luck

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife