Help! Bike shuts down while riding

More
12 Sep 2009 17:35 #321149 by rsrcafe
Replied by rsrcafe on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
Well guys, I think it is a venting problem after all. All new ignition did not help. What I think is happeningis as fuel tank can't vent properly, it may be forcing fuel down into the carbs fouling plugs. Just a theory, and I kow it was mentioned in the posts earlier.
I tried cleaning the stock cap because finding a used cap for an Sr is next to impossible, but to no avail. Finally one listed on ebay and I snagged it(should be here any day).
I'll try this, plus I put colder plugs in too just as another blind shot, Thanks for all the info and help so far.

Keep your fingers crossed....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2009 21:33 - 12 Sep 2009 21:34 #321233 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding

What I think is happeningis as fuel tank can't vent properly, it may be forcing fuel down into the carbs fouling plugs. Just a theory,

If the tank can't vent, you get vapor lock. There is no way the fuel gets forced to the carbs to foul the plugs in this situation.

Are you using the coil relay mod? I just had my relay fail intermittently, and it drove me nuts with missing and finally dieing, only to start up later. A cheap chinese relay was the problem, I should have used a Bosch or Tyco. But to it's credit it did last 3 years.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 12 Sep 2009 21:34 by OKC_Kent.

More
13 Sep 2009 00:34 - 13 Sep 2009 00:38 #321248 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
rsrcafe wrote:

Well guys, I think it is a venting problem... tried cleaning the stock cap...to no avail....

Could test run with fuel tank cap ajar (not snapped down), which vents the tank regardless of whether the cap vent itself is clear or clogged.

If problem persists during test run with cap ajar, it's likely not resulting from a cap venting problem.

On the other hand, if problem disappears during test run with cap ajar, it likely resulted from a malfunctioning (i.e., clogged) cap vent.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 Sep 2009 00:38 by Patton.