Help! Bike shuts down while riding

More
05 Sep 2009 19:53 #319366 by rsrcafe
Help! Bike shuts down while riding was created by rsrcafe
Hi everyone, first post. I own a 1978 650d that i have done a mild cafe conversion to. The problem I am having is that after about 100 miles of having it on the road, the bike will begin to have a "pulse" in power and than shut down. This usually occurrs around 10 to 20 miles into the ride. After the bike got back to my garage, I pulled the plugs and they are fouled. I originallythought it was due to weak ignition, because I'm pretty sure with the filter pods I have on the bike it is not running rich.(if anything a little lean without a rejet)

Anyway, replaced the coils with new emgo replicas, bike ran strong..for ten miles and shut down again. Fould plugs. New plugs(b7es) and points and condensor just installed today, and fired up and ran til idle correct without choke. Pulled plugs and all are clean except# 2(small amount of oil).

Is this the culpret? Would bad rings or seals oil fouling out in one jug cause all of them to carbon foul out. Do I just need hotter plugs or will this cause more problems in the other jugs? Any ideas or further steps? I'm just tired of pushing the bike back to my housemore than riding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
05 Sep 2009 20:04 - 05 Sep 2009 20:13 #319367 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
When you say fouling plugs, are they all black and powdery, or wet? Wet with gas, or oily?

If its black and powdery/gas wet, your too rich or ignition system is weak. Check to make sure the coils are getting 12 volts.

Is the jetting stock? Do you know what the jets are? What are the fuel levels while checked on the bike?

Cheers.

Oil fouling in one cylinder will not cause the others to foul.

Use the recommended spark plug only. A b7 is hotter. If you use alot of high revs/wot you could have overheating issues/ping.

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 05 Sep 2009 20:13 by TeK9iNe.

More
05 Sep 2009 20:08 #319370 by mjkawa
Replied by mjkawa on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
One fouled plug will not make the bike shut down.
It will run w/ three. It will run rough, and no good power, but it should certainly get you home.
I dont think that the single fouled plug is the culprit.

When you "shut down" Means what? wont fire? electric is gone?

I would look at something heat related.

When you get it home, what do you do to get it restarted?

82 KZ-1000-J
77 KZ650 B

More
05 Sep 2009 20:09 #319371 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
Battery fully charged? Alternator output been checked? Battery cables all clean and tight? Charging system in good shape?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
05 Sep 2009 22:05 #319392 by Johnj
Replied by Johnj on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
Check your tank vent.

Veho vivo - Ago ut veho

More
06 Sep 2009 00:24 #319419 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
rsrcafe wrote:

bike ran strong..for ten miles and shut down again. .

I would check the gas cap vent for sure.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
06 Sep 2009 05:11 #319438 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
If problem persists, would also check valve clearances, which might be too tight and result in loss of compression when engine reaches normal operating temp.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Sep 2009 05:21 #319442 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
Are you pod clean no restrictions ? Do you oil them?

More
06 Sep 2009 17:33 #319592 by rsrcafe
Replied by rsrcafe on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
Bike will bigin to have rough pulse and as soon as you drop off the throttle, engine shuts down and will not allow you to start.
Do have all electrics and plenty of juice, just can't get it to run other than putting choke on full and even then it shuts right off after about 2 seconds.

Once I get home I pull plugs, all four are fouled and then I clean them again, and then its like groundhog day for the next short ride.
You bring up a good point about heat related though. When the bike would get me back and forth to work(40mile round trip) without any problems, it was 70 or below outside. I thought maybe cooler air it ran better with jetting as is. I pretty much ruled this out though because I did not bump up the jets, and the plugs are not white gray for a lean condition but black when the problem occurs. It is strange that the bike has shut down during days that are around 80 degrees.

More
06 Sep 2009 17:35 #319593 by rsrcafe
Replied by rsrcafe on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
Thanks for some of the info guys. I'll give you more info as I continue to trouble shoot on labor day. We'll see !!!

• Nephlyte
  • User
  • To do what is right is to know what you want.
More
07 Sep 2009 21:37 #319806 by Nephlyte
Replied by Nephlyte on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
So. You ride, it fails, you push it home. Then it won't start until you clean the plugs?

After you clean the plugs it starts up? That doesn't seem right. They can't be that fouled, i've ridden my bike on the worst fouled plugs in the world. I can tell the diff when i change them out, but it should still run crappily.

Have you left it to cool completely down then tried to start it?

Also, next time it does that, pull a spark plug and turn the engine, see if you are getting a spark, if you are, then the plug fouling probably is a side issue.

1979 KZ1000 MKII, 1075 wiseco kit installed, 10.25:1 compression, welded crank, kerker header and custom paint.

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
08 Sep 2009 09:31 #319872 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic Help! Bike shuts down while riding
I am not sure if the bike has a vaccume petcock, but if it does, check the vaccume line. Is it connected to the right port? Are there an cracks in it?

I pulled the tank yesterday and connected the vent host to the vaccume line, it started and ran very poorly and would die if the choke was closed or the throttle was opened.

After reversing the lines the bike ran beautifully.

KR B)

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST