starter clutch

More
26 Aug 2009 07:45 #316503 by lrburke
starter clutch was created by lrburke
Hey Guys, On an 83 KZ750 is the starter clutch accessible from the left side of the engine or do you have to split the engine to get to it. I went to read the past posts on this subject but couldn't really find something model specific. Thanks for any advice! Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
26 Aug 2009 09:06 #316522 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic starter clutch
On the 83 KZ750 L3 model, the starter clutch is buried in the middle of the block. It can be removed without splitting the cases but involves removing the right hand side clutch cover, clutch assembly, left hand side clutch actuator cover(sprocket cover), removing the oil pan, and removal of the secondary shaft--pushed out from left side towards the right side of the bike. The manual says all this can be done with the engine still in the frame, but I wouldn't want to do it that way.
Myy starter clutch on my L3 750 gave up so I switched engines. My bad starter clutch engine is sitting ready for teardown and will be re-done this winter.
I hope this answer doesn't discourage you...
Grant

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
26 Aug 2009 13:26 - 26 Aug 2009 13:26 #316565 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic starter clutch
I've done it as the manual says, with engine in frame and on the center stand. A lot of disassemble, but no problem with the right tools and knowing what you are doing.

Hardest part was dealing with the big tranny clutch nut, better to have a impact wrench, is about 90 ft-lb or torque. I also needed an impact screw driver for the secondary shaft right plate.

I changed entire starter clutch, as did not find anything broken or dramatically worn. New clutch worked perfectly.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2009 13:26 by hugo.