pin on crank for locating mechanical advance

More
16 Mar 2006 18:47 #31822 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
i have the same issue on the motor i took out just figured id worry about it when i build that motor again
if you find an easy way let us know

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2006 09:17 #31960 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
WG although my "new hole/bolt" suggestion involved the movement of the pin, it DIDN't involve any movement of the advancer mechanism realative to the crankshaft. I was suggesting kepping the advancer in EXACTLY the same ORIGINAL position.

Must admit, I'm a little hazzy as to how this might affect any settings? I could of course be trying to make this thing too simple and stand corrected if that's the case.

More
18 Mar 2006 09:11 #32197 by sbjones
Replied by sbjones on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
wired, i ran into the same probelm with my 77 1000 crank. i got a small torch (little one from snap on, butane) heated up the pin and the pin only (pain in the butt, being so small) then while it was hot, i drilled out the center of the pin with a very small drill bit. i did this several times. moving up in drill bi6t sizes till i could just chip out the rest of the pin with a pick, like a dentist pick. only took about 20 minutes total for me.

this didn't really heat the end of the crank at all, i could touch it at all times. so no damage to the crank. then cleaned the end hole and installed a new roll pin.

take your time though!!!!

good luck

More
19 Mar 2006 15:19 #32584 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
Thanks! Good to hear from someone who actually has done this. I will first try and drill the thing out cold using the bits I drove into town to buy... If they don't work (it doesnt't take long to figure out), I will buy a pencil tip torch. I have several torches I use for carb work but they don't have a fine tip.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!