pin on crank for locating mechanical advance

More
16 Mar 2006 06:13 #31609 by wiredgeorge
On one of my project KZs, the PO had allowed water to get into the combustion chambers and the engine was frozen. The piston was frozen in the block. I got it off and have a new block/pistons coming (eBay) BUT, he had tried to turn the engine over using the nut on the end of the crank under the points cover. The pin on the end of the crank snapped. It is a hardened pin and difficult to drill. I have an endless supply of titanium nitride 1/8" bits (that would be the right size) and they won't dent the metal of the pin. My buddy Roy-b-boy-b had this happen and his "fix" was to heat the pin till it was glowing using a cutting torch and then hit it with oxygen. He claimed that he was told this would shatter the pin. I am scared to try this approach and would rather try drilling first. Is there a better bit that will cut into the hardened steel than titanium nitride (I buy these for my carb business)??? Before doing as Roy suggested, I would remove the crank and likely take it to a friend in a machine shop. Next part of the question, Roy suggested buying a "keeper pin". He told me that these pins had a split in them (I guess only part way) so they could be driven into a blind hole and be retained securely. I have never seen one. Any suggestions where one could be found?

ANYONE EVER FACE THIS PROBLEM?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2006 06:27 #31614 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
I sure wish I could be of help, but I have to tell you..........................................................................I LOVE IT when YOU ask for help!:laugh:
I hope you get the problem resolved soon.
Jim

More
16 Mar 2006 08:15 #31629 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
It would take a carbide bit or tool to try to cut it out. What you might try though is a slide hammer used for popping out small dents in car bodies. Basically if you have enough of the pin showing you weld a small rod to it and attach your slide hammer to the rod and knock it out. At some point Kaw started using a "roll pin" instead of the solid pin......mod

More
16 Mar 2006 08:18 #31631 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
There is a method to electronically zap the pin and disintegrate it, but that's all I know about this method. Sorry:( It might be the only way to remove it. Ask your machine shops, George. If I think of the term or find a website I'll post again. Good luck.

Got it ! EDM machining
"Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) is a process that uses electrical discharges from an electrode to erode an electrically conductive material.

It is very accurate from what I see on the web, and worth checking into.

And those pins you ask of, they are called roll pins, and also coiled rolled pins (for really fudged up holes). You can find them in Mcmaster Carr.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/03/16 11:52

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
16 Mar 2006 09:13 #31660 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
I think you will need a carbide drill bit, like they said before, if you try this use lots of cutting oil and go slow,
one other option might be to use a welder and spot the rod on the end of the pin, let it cool and try to pull it out

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
16 Mar 2006 09:46 #31681 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
The pin seems to be 1/8"... It was snapped flush. I used to weld for a living (about 30 years ago) and can't imagine putting a tack weld on that thing. The PO did manage to start a nice pilot hole so I am hoping a new drill bit will allow me to drill it out. The next step would be the machine shop route which ain't all that big a deal... just have to pop out the engine, split the cases and drag the crank to a shop. I just didn't want to split the cases on this bike as the cam chain ain't bad and it will likely be the one of the two projects I end up selling.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
16 Mar 2006 10:27 #31699 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
WG, Could you forget trying to drill out the old pin and instead drill for a NEW pin, say 180 degrees rould from where the old pin is broken Then drill/form a new hole/slot in the advancer mechanism for the new pin location?

Haven't thought this ALL the way through yet but you might even be able to use the original slot and "swap" your Dyna wires to allow for the 180 degree move?

• wireman
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2006 10:48 #31711 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
B) youd have to be pretty precise locating that hole,interesting idea though.goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
16 Mar 2006 11:27 #31723 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
Wire,

Just a thought but you could 1) drill a new hole anywhere on the advancer then, line up the advancer where it should be, in line with the old broken pin, then drill through the new hole, into the plate that holds the pin.

Could even then tap a thread in the plate and use a bolt in stead of a pin?

More
16 Mar 2006 12:06 #31729 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
if you know anybody with a body shop borrow a unispot welder it will weld a 1/8 inch copper nail to the end of it so you can pull it out with a slide hammer or use a cobalt bit with a low speed drill :sick:

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

• wireman
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2006 12:36 #31731 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
BARNEYHYPHEN wrote:

Wire,

Just a thought but you could 1) drill a new hole anywhere on the advancer then, line up the advancer where it should be, in line with the old broken pin, then drill through the new hole, into the plate that holds the pin.

Could even then tap a thread in the plate and use a bolt in stead of a pin?

this sounds doable,now i just need someone to come along with a reason it wont work,and really screw up my day!:lol:

More
16 Mar 2006 15:08 #31764 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic pin on crank for locating mechanical advance
The pin is in the end of the crankshaft. I am kind of hesitant to move its location as any variance will effect timing and I will end up having to use a degree wheel to get timing back... I got a couple cobalt drill bits and a pin punch... we will see what happens! Thanks for all the great suggestions. Surprised someone else hasn't come across this issue.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!