78 kz650

More
15 Mar 2006 21:32 #31552 by r1ng3l78
78 kz650 was created by r1ng3l78
i'm buying my first bike and it doesn't run. i've ridden crotchrockets and harleys and never cared for either. i've been a diehard rockcrawler and jeepnut for the last 10 years but now i'm back in school and can't afford the gas on the jeep. i'm a decent engine man on trucks and a better fabricator/driveline guy but i've never touched a bike. the one i'm gettin i was told developed a "knock" and the guy said he thought one of the carbs filled the cylinder and fouled it. are there any common problems i need to look for? it's a 78 with 15k on it, should i just tear it down and do a rebuild on the tranny and all? i've got about a 300 dollar budget for parts, can i even begin a rebuild for that much? i'm planning on doing a bobber/cafe kind of thing to it and run straight pipes, is what's the shortest pipe you can run without warping something? any and all advice is appreciated. heres the bike and the parts bike i got.
i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/r1ng3l78/kaw1.jpg
i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/r1ng3l78/kaw2.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2006 21:43 #31554 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 78 kz650
how much does he want for it?id pull the plugs and try turning it over to clean it out,turn off the gas and hold the throttle open while you do it.see it if makes the clunking noise if it does pull the valve cover off and look for broken parts like loose or broke timing chain or valve that looks stuck.id definately get a shop manual if you need to go deeper than this.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
15 Mar 2006 22:07 #31561 by r1ng3l78
Replied by r1ng3l78 on topic 78 kz650
well he wants 150 for both which a buddy of mine who collects old bikes told me i'm crazy if i don't jump on it. you guys know better than me what their worth. but the way i was figuring, if it's not seized, it's not a bad deal.

More
15 Mar 2006 22:33 #31564 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic 78 kz650
Non-runners aren't worth much in this world.

Find the problem before you shell out the 150$
...Maybe UNLESS it looks REALLY good, then I might be inclined go for it, knowing that worst case scenario I could get my money back in parts. A bike that looks really good is usually less likely to have a lot of trouble with rusted out parts and it is even a decent indicator of how well the bike was cared for (I said decent).

Check the compression, to do so, get yourself a compression tester, remove all spark plugs, plug in compression tester into spark plug hole, open throttle, turn engine over. Let us know the results.... The difference between cylinders is usually a good indicator of any major motor damage (+-30PSI I would say is acceptable, The clymers manual suggests +-10PSI is good, but +-57 PSI is acceptable). They sought to read, BALLPARK (i.e. +-50psi) 170PSI.

There is a whole world of other things you should check, be very wary of paying anything for a non-runner that you expect to make running, it can REALLY cost you a lot in the end (ask me how I know). Probably better to pay 500-600 for a bike that runs on all cylinders than to pay 150 for a bike that doesn't run at all. You can get lucky or unlucky, but do a google search "Used motorcycle checklist" and try to bring a buddy along with you that knows about bikes and do the checks. Maybe a member could help you, whereabouts are you located?

More
15 Mar 2006 22:34 #31565 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic 78 kz650
You'd be crazy to jump into something you don't know much about yet!

More
15 Mar 2006 23:00 #31567 by r1ng3l78
did you see the pics? i've already got a buyer for them if i can't get the good one to run. and it will run, it's just missing on a cylinder. and what do you suggest would be a better way to learn? buy a new bike and tear it down or pay to go to motorcycle school? i think my way's cheaper.

More
15 Mar 2006 23:10 #31568 by r1ng3l78
oh, your first post was much more constructive than the second, sorry. they're about an hour away from hazard kentucky which is bout 140 miles from my place in johnson city, TN. i intended to do the basic stuff i'd look for on a truck(compression,brakes,wiring,etc) just didn't know if there was anything special i should look for.

More
15 Mar 2006 23:14 #31569 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 78 kz650
I'd jump on that deal in a heartbeat!! I'd give $150 for the parts bike if it has a title! Sheesh, parts for the 650's are almost as cheap as 750 twin parts on eBay, and I have a 750 four motor sitting here just begging me to find a 650SR to stick it in :laugh: :laugh:

I paid $200 for a non running 750 twin on eBay, I have $450.00 in it right now and it's the bike in my avatar, and it didn't look anything like it does now (all bow to eBay!) :D

KD9JUR

More
16 Mar 2006 02:44 #31579 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic 78 kz650
Even if you cant/dont get it running....the body parts can get yer 150 back!
I'd buy it. If you now your way around engines, get a shop manual, roll up your sleeves, get some beer on ice and jump in.
Good luck and let us know. OH!....pictures are a plus!!

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

• wireman
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2006 03:24 #31581 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 78 kz650
for $150.00 id go for it,even if the motor sucked a valve or spun a bearing it will be a cheap learning experiance for you and you can always pick up a good running motor or possibly another complete bike with a good motor real cheap down the road.where are you located theres probably somebody close enough to give you some help with it if you need it.;)goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
16 Mar 2006 05:04 #31587 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic 78 kz650
For $150, you just send me the body work off the blue bike and we'll call it even! :evil: :woohoo:

So long as you're not spending money you need for rent or food, I think you'll find that it will be money well spent when you get it on the road. These bikes are pretty honest machines. What you see is what you get. Between the two you'll probably be able to make the blue one a runner in no time.

Keep us apprised of your progress.

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
16 Mar 2006 05:17 #31590 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 78 kz650
For that price it's a steal. Good luck with the project.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust