cam noise

More
16 Aug 2009 13:50 #314345 by ohioKZnut
cam noise was created by ohioKZnut
HI all,appriciate all the questions answered so far,and sure there will be alot more.
As i am riding the faster i go the louder the noise is comming from the cam area.(front top part of engine.)sounds like a chain niose kinda.Is some noise like this normal?Bike seems to run fine,power,pick up,ect....I just gave it an oil change,used kawasaki 20/50.

78 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2009 13:53 #314346 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic cam noise
have you checked the tension on your chain ,anything funny in oil? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
17 Aug 2009 13:20 #314612 by Beatpoet
Replied by Beatpoet on topic cam noise
1) Chain tensioner
2) Exhaust manifold leaks? (re-torque studs)

More
18 Aug 2009 07:10 #314769 by ohioKZnut
Replied by ohioKZnut on topic cam noise
As i am waiting for my clymor manual to arrive.i have changed oil,(what do you mean anything funny in oil?It has darkened due to riding.And not sure yet how to check tensioner,do i pull off the DOHC covers for that,and if so do they need a gasket to put them back on?Thank you

78 KZ 650

More
18 Aug 2009 07:51 #314778 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic cam noise
My 77 KZ650 has the chain tensioner outside below the carbs in the center of engine. Only have to remove points cover on right side of engine so you can use a wrench on the big nut in the canter to turn over about two turns then I loosened up 10mm lock nut and it should adjust itself internaly. I give it a couple light taps to help insure it adjust inside. Then tighten up 10mm locknut put cover back on points.and that is pretty much what the book tells you. Any other Ideas?

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD