Engine Oil Level After Cool Down?

More
15 Aug 2009 16:40 #314115 by mzandmz
Engine Oil Level After Cool Down? was created by mzandmz
Hello, I changed the oil and filter,added 3.5 quarts and then made sure the oil level was near the top line,figuring that 1 I could remember where the level was and 2 if I was using any I would not be running low on a long Ride.Book says somewhere between the lines. After I start and run it around the block I park it on the center stand, it looks fine. I leave and come back in a few hours and the oil is over the top line completely full. Now I know its not gas getting in, I smelt the oil and its just oil. The polymers have cooled down so the oil should be near normal viscosity 10 weight. Do I drain out until desired level or know that I originaly filled it cold to the top line and forget it.?

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2009 16:46 - 15 Aug 2009 16:48 #314118 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Engine Oil Level After Cool Down?
mzandmz wrote:

After I start and run it around the block I park it on the center stand, it looks fine. I leave and come back in a few hours and the oil is over the top line completely full.

Don't worry about it. There is a little more oil drain down after you park it. If it is in the correct range a couple of minutes after you turn it off, you should be fine. If it goes up a shade after, it's only a little bit high. Mine does the same thing. If it is OK after I shut off the engine a wait a minute, I call it right.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 15 Aug 2009 16:48 by bountyhunter.

More
15 Aug 2009 16:50 #314119 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Engine Oil Level After Cool Down?
Oh by the way Trivia-- on oil DID you know what by example-10w40 means? 10 is the starting weight or viscosity the oil is when cold. "w" stands for(TRUE INFORMATION) not weight but "winter", I Know. strange huh. and 40 weight is when its hot or the thickest viscosity it will get to provide best lubrication under the pressures and heat. Oil needs more viscosity at higher temps. How does it get thicker? Polymers,little "beads" that swell up when heated causing the oil to thicken. As it cools down the "beads or polymers " get smaller causing the oil to return to the starting weight. Interesting Trivia.

More
16 Aug 2009 16:38 - 16 Aug 2009 16:39 #314427 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Engine Oil Level After Cool Down?
mzandmz wrote:

Oh by the way Trivia-- on oil DID you know what by example-10w40 means? 10 is the starting weight or viscosity the oil is when cold. "w" stands for(TRUE INFORMATION) not weight but "winter", I Know. strange huh. and 40 weight is when its hot or the thickest viscosity it will get to provide best lubrication under the pressures and heat. Oil needs more viscosity at higher temps. How does it get thicker? Polymers,little "beads" that swell up when heated causing the oil to thicken. As it cools down the "beads or polymers " get smaller causing the oil to return to the starting weight. Interesting Trivia.

!0W-40 is made by starting with 10 base oil and adding viscosity increasers (VIs) that are polymers which expand when hot (making the oil more viscous) and contract when cold to let it go back to the normal base oil characteristics. It is the VI's which get torn up by the gears in a bikes tranny which is why the oil's viscosity breaks down over time. You might start with 10W-40 and in 3000 miles, it might be 10W-20.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Aug 2009 16:39 by bountyhunter.

More
16 Aug 2009 17:49 #314439 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Engine Oil Level After Cool Down?
mzandmz wrote:

Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2009 18:29 - 16 Aug 2009 18:29 #314442 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Engine Oil Level After Cool Down?
exactly.:dry:

Last edit: 16 Aug 2009 18:29 by mzandmz.