clutch issues

More
14 Aug 2009 08:06 #313857 by gvsu141
clutch issues was created by gvsu141
i have an '80 1000ltd, i was riding the other day and all of a sudden my clutch became full of slack. On the road i adjusted it out as far as i could to get home, it still had over 1/2 lever of slack.

I took and cleaned/lubed the cable and the pushrod, while it seemed to help some, i still have way too much slack. I know it is not in the cable or connecting assembly, because it works fine by hand.

The clutch still works, as far as i can tell its not slipping. It almost seems to me as if the pushrod isnt coming out far enough. Anyone have any ideas what to look for when i take it apart?

2001 ZRX 1200
1973 z1 900
1975/73 z1 Turbo Dragbike
1982 GPZ550 - 62 Miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2009 10:44 #313888 by gvsu141
Replied by gvsu141 on topic clutch issues
Nevermind, issue solved--- the nut on the clutch adjuster on the sprocket cover came loose...

2001 ZRX 1200
1973 z1 900
1975/73 z1 Turbo Dragbike
1982 GPZ550 - 62 Miles

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
14 Aug 2009 10:50 #313890 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic clutch issues
haha, mine did that 3 days ago too...check the adjuster in the middle of the cable too, mine was loose there as well

More
16 Aug 2009 12:01 #314334 by wifeofaKZlover
Replied by wifeofaKZlover on topic clutch issues
My husband is having the same problem with his 76' 900. he has adjusted at the lever and at tightened the nut on the sproket which was loose. He is still having problems. Thosse two things helped a little but it is still not engaging right away when he goes to start out. He will try adjusting it in the middle of the cable and see if this helps further. Are there any other ideas? Is it possible the clutch is going bad? Right now this is his only means of transportation to and from work every day and he has to drive 40 miles round trip. He needs to know he will get there and back. Both of our other cars left him sit last week and we don't have the money to repair them at this time so he needs a great running bike to get him to work. We need this little problem taken care of ASAP. Thanks.

More
16 Aug 2009 12:24 #314336 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic clutch issues
wifeofaKZlover wrote:

My husband is having the same problem with his 76' 900. he has adjusted at the lever and at tightened the nut on the sproket which was loose. He is still having problems. Thosse two things helped a little but it is still not engaging right away when he goes to start out. He will try adjusting it in the middle of the cable and see if this helps further. Are there any other ideas? Is it possible the clutch is going bad? Right now this is his only means of transportation to and from work every day and he has to drive 40 miles round trip. He needs to know he will get there and back. Both of our other cars left him sit last week and we don't have the money to repair them at this time so he needs a great running bike to get him to work. We need this little problem taken care of ASAP. Thanks.

Tightening that nut won't solve the problem, he needs to turn the center adjuster screw IN until he feels resistance. Hold the screw with the screwdriver and snug down the nut with a wrench.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
16 Aug 2009 12:56 #314339 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic clutch issues
Here's the ROUTINE clutch pushrod adjustment.

FIRST-- adjust the pushrod gap:
With ample slack in cable;
Hold clutch pushrod adjuster screw in place with screwdriver;
Loosen the locknut;
Turn screw counterclockwise backing it out and loosening it up;
Turn screw clockwise back in until feeling it seat against end of the pushrod;
Turn screw counterclockwise back out 1/2 turn (which allows small gap between end of screw and pushrod);
Hold screw in position with screwdriver;
Tighten the locknut;
At this point, the slight gap between adjustment screw and end of pushrod has been set and locked in position.

SECOND-- adjust the cable slack:
Now, reduce cable slack using the inline adjuster near exhaust header and the adjuster at handlebar, until there's a little slack in the cable when the clutch lever isn't being squeezed.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD