2 DRAIN PLUGS!?

More
13 Aug 2009 12:40 #313711 by ohioKZnut
2 DRAIN PLUGS!? was created by ohioKZnut
Hi all,have a 78 kz650b2,went to change oil,by what ive learned on here and studying,am i right,2 drain plugs.
I unscrewed the plug that runs paralell with the kerker exhaust,but only like a 1/4 of a quart came out.so i saw another plug directly underneath the pan,faceing the ground,and the rest came out.now the plug i took off according to manual was the one on bottom of pan running same direction as muffler,please tell me i didnt screw something up,or do i have 2 drain plugs.:blush:

78 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2009 12:43 #313712 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic 2 DRAIN PLUGS!?
One small drain plug for the oil filter and one big plug for the ctank case. Is there a big bolt near the small plug so you can remove the filter? Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
13 Aug 2009 14:18 #313722 by ohioKZnut
Replied by ohioKZnut on topic 2 DRAIN PLUGS!?
yes its actually inbetween the 2.facing the ground.cant get that loose,its like a circular kinda shape on bottom of engine.tried to loosen but starting to strip,any suggestions?Also above the engine close to the carbs,is another circular peice looks like the air filter used to be attached,but have pods so nt no more,i thought that might have been a top entrance to the oil filter,but when i pulled the bolt and cover it was empty inside.

78 KZ 650

More
13 Aug 2009 15:56 #313746 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 2 DRAIN PLUGS!?
The bolt you loosened at the rear of the engine is an oil gallery plug. No need to remove it ever, but didn't hurt anything. The 17mm bolts on the bottom are for the drain of the pan (front bolt), and oil filter bolt (rear bolt). The filter can be tight. Use a 17mm 6 point socket and a long extension on a ratchet like a length of pipe for more leverage. If it's stripped you'll have to resort to more extreme measures.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
13 Aug 2009 20:27 #313793 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic 2 DRAIN PLUGS!?
RonKZ650 is a vary knowledgable Guy I always like his advice or comments. Makes sence , six sided bolt head use a six point socket. 12point sockets just like to round off the heads and makes the bolts unattractive. Then there people thet use a left handed metric cresent wrench.:laugh: :laugh: Bad Idea those love to eat the heads off the bolts.:laugh: :laugh:

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD