Broken Throttle

More
12 Aug 2009 18:43 #313484 by shitimdumb
Broken Throttle was created by shitimdumb
I'm fairly new so forgive me on how I describe this, nothing in search gave me an answer. My throttle suddenly lost all resistance on my last ride, I had to get it towed in. When I twist the throttle I can see a little cable being pushed out, but is completely slacked. This cable is in front of the other cable, which is further back. This cable still has plenty of resistance. What do I need to replace and where in my clymer manual do I look?

81 kz650 csr
LS, MO
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2009 18:49 #313488 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Broken Throttle
shitimdumb wrote:

I'm fairly new so forgive me on how I describe this, nothing in search gave me an answer. My throttle suddenly lost all resistance on my last ride, I had to get it towed in. When I twist the throttle I can see a little cable being pushed out, but is completely slacked. This cable is in front of the other cable, which is further back. This cable still has plenty of resistance. What do I need to replace and where in my clymer manual do I look?

81 kz650 csr
LS, MO
Thanks!

Sounds like you broke the cable. Pull on the inner part and see if it comes out of the casing.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
12 Aug 2009 19:14 #313496 by shitimdumb
Replied by shitimdumb on topic Broken Throttle
The bike is stored at another location, so this were the case... do I need to remove the gas tank to fix this?

More
12 Aug 2009 19:22 - 12 Aug 2009 19:23 #313502 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Broken Throttle
Yes you would need to pull the tank off. Order another cable from Z1E or wherever before you go and bring along a couple of 10mm wrenches, that's generally all you need to put on a new cable.

It sounds like you need the pull cable but either way here's links for both

Push

Pull

Good luck!

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2009 19:23 by KZ250LTD.

More
12 Aug 2009 19:23 #313503 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Broken Throttle
yeah pull gas tank and pull throttle assembly apart on bars to remove cable. one cable pushes,other pulls.ive cheated and used the other cable many times B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.