KZ1100 need to freshing up the top half ?

More
11 Aug 2009 19:17 #313247 by Tedster
i have an 81 KZ1100 shaft the bike sat for a long time did alot of work on it since i had it,i was out with the guys sunday nite giving it heck and two guys i was with said black smoke was pouring out my pipes,i went back out mon. nite with the bike raised a little heck with it now the smoke is coming out of the pipes ideling when you rev it,its oil.
its bone stock except the paint job,i don;t think the motor has ever been touched,wheres the best place to get an upper half for the bike,and who does good head work i may as well get it done right if i am gonna keep it

Ted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2009 19:34 #313252 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1100 need to freshing up the top half ?
If not already done, would first perform a compression test.

And better yet a leakdown test.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Aug 2009 20:08 #313261 by Tedster
Replied by Tedster on topic KZ1100 need to freshing up the top half ?
i have not performed either since it was smoking,but when i bought the bike i had between 118 to to 122# on 3cylinders and 60# on the no.2cyl we put some oil down no. 2 and it brought it right back to a 120 i just had the right exhaust off it to put a new donut in the crossover pipe and i looked in the port while the pipe was down and there was oil on the valve stem,it seems to be one thing after another i am actually getting a little disturbed with it,i may just take the insurance off it and shove it in the corner of the garage till winter and work on it

• txturbo
  • User
  • Ex-Kawasaki Mechanic 1981-1985
More
12 Aug 2009 10:31 #313383 by txturbo
Replied by txturbo on topic KZ1100 need to freshing up the top half ?
You could just have some rings sticking. Go buy a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil at an auto parts store and dump half in the gas tank and half in the oil.You will have to drain out some oil so you don't overfill it. Go ride it hard then park it for a couple of days without starting it. If rings are sticking, that will free them up.

1984 ZX750 E1 GPz Turbo
1984 ZX1100 A2 GPz
1984 ZX900
1996 KZ1000P Police bike
1970 Honda CT 70H 4sp manual
1965 Honda Dream 305
2003 Honda Shadow 1100

1971 Suzuki MT50 Trailhopper
1969 Camaro SS
1966 Impala
1966 Impala SS 427/4spd

More
12 Aug 2009 11:52 #313399 by Tedster
i may just try that,but when i went to put it up it was like not running on all the cylinders like it was starving for gas,i haven't really had time to mess with it i haven't even did a compreesion check on it yet but i did pull the plugs out and look at them the first plug on the shifter side was wet and thats the cylinder that felt like it was dropping you could here it popping in the left pipe and if you put your hand on top of the diaphram on carb you could feel the popping or miss fire or pre ignition in the carb:unsure: ,i thought i had all the bugs worked out of it and now this,i will try what you said its a cheap fix if thats what it is but for today i think i just need to let it rest,i appreciate the in put

Ted

More
13 Aug 2009 10:43 #313681 by Tedster
well i didn't get any mstery oil but i did take the bike out and got it good and warmed up and pulled the plugs out and did a compression test here are the results not very good
#1 115

i didn't put any mystery oil in it it has 26,000mi9 on it,i took it out got in nice in hot did a compression check not good here are the results if you thinks i need the mystery oil i will try it but it never smoked till after we were out hot doggin around #1=115 #2=122 #3=130 #4=98 i didn't do a leak down but if i redo the i may as well put rings in it or bore or whatever i need to do to the cylinders but i don't think its very smart doing the head and valves and not the rings?

Ted

More
13 Aug 2009 10:45 #313682 by Tedster
i have no idea why that reply did that the first one i tried replying to erased off from my PC

Ted