dads kz550 has trouble starting

More
13 Aug 2009 11:50 #313699 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic dads kz550 has trouble starting
You know, ive kinda gotten into a ritual where i put it on prime for 10 seconds or so, crack the throttle once, put it back to on, then try starting it. Usual kicks first try but doesnt catch, ya know? Then from there its hit the start button, beg, pray for it to catch, rinse, repeat.. That little bit of gas im giving it now seemed to have done the trick, but im in amazement over that pin on the choke flap, almost cant wait to take them off again to check those. Almost. Thought for sure it was just that i gotta check the valve clearances but never thought to ask..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2009 12:33 #313710 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic dads kz550 has trouble starting
YEah, I was amazed at how hard it was to start my one bike that had a big 4-into-1, until I fixed the choke pins. Then it started easy every time. ( I was using starting fluid sometimes so I wouldn't drain the battery while cranking.)

Those choke flaps have to seal completely at the initial start if the bike is modded to breath more.

More
13 Aug 2009 14:16 #313720 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic dads kz550 has trouble starting
loudhvx wrote:

YEah, I was amazed at how hard it was to start my one bike that had a big 4-into-1, until I fixed the choke pins. Then it started easy every time. ( I was using starting fluid sometimes so I wouldn't drain the battery while cranking.)

Those choke flaps have to seal completely at the initial start if the bike is modded to breath more.

How did you fix those pins? Epoxy or solder? Thanks for the pictures.

Robert

1981 KZ550-D1

More
13 Aug 2009 14:19 #313723 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic dads kz550 has trouble starting
loudhvx wrote:

Hey, Vvc, do you start the bike in the prime position? Just wondering if you've tried that. If my bikes sit for a day or two, I have to flip it to prime for about 30 seconds to get fuel in the carbs. Two hours shouldn't need it though.

I have to turn my Gpz550 to prime also if it is not used for 4 days or more. Wonder why the gas in the float bowls evaporates/disappears?

Robert

1981 KZ550-D1

More
13 Aug 2009 14:34 #313726 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic dads kz550 has trouble starting
GPz550D1 wrote:

loudhvx wrote:

How did you fix those pins? Epoxy or solder? Thanks for the pictures.

Robert

I very, very gently peened the casting around the shaft, but it's too brittle and I don't recommend this method. It would be too easy to break a chunk of the casting off. I don't know why I didn't think of it at the time, but I think loctite or some other glue or epoxy would be a much better solution.