Piston Pin Removal

More
15 Mar 2006 04:01 #31283 by KevZ
Piston Pin Removal was created by KevZ
I am in the process of disassembling my KZ1100 motor, and I cannot remove the piston pins. My manual says that the pin should be able to be pushed out by finger. I couldn't move them at all by finger. Then the manual says to heat the piston with a warm rag, and then push the pin out. That helped move the pin on #1 piston to be in line with the connecting rod. The manual says if the pin still will not come out, use a C-clamp and a rod to push the pin out. I do not want to damage the connecting rods, so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or alternatives. What is the risk of damaging the piston by using a C-clamp?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2006 07:00 #31307 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Piston Pin Removal
They come right out using a c-clamp. Use a short piece of pvc pipe or similar with an ID larger than the pin, set it against the piston, then use the c-clamp to press the pin right out into the pipe. Takes very little effort and no damage.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
15 Mar 2006 09:26 #31336 by KevZ
Replied by KevZ on topic Piston Pin Removal
Cool. thanks, Ron

More
15 Mar 2006 14:20 #31406 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Piston Pin Removal
Usually the pin has been banging against the clip and raises a burr on the clip grooves. This is what you have a problem with. After you get the piston off, you can deburr the pin hole at the groove and the pin should then slide right through on assembly.

Jay

More
17 Mar 2006 09:33 #31963 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic Piston Pin Removal
or you can get a small butane torch and heat the piston just until its hot to the touch....pin will slide right out..

1982 kz1000ltd

More
17 Mar 2006 09:47 #31967 by KevZ
Replied by KevZ on topic Piston Pin Removal
I got them out the other day. Interesting explanation of the burrs on the clip grooves. I will check into this. It didn't even cross my mind.