Tried to adjust the clutch on my 78 kz650...

More
09 Aug 2009 20:27 #312814 by Teh Nap
And 3 hours later it's in much worse shape. I just wanted to adjust it a little so I didn't have to let go of the clutch so much before it hit and I'm really not sure what I did. I don't have a mechanic's manual for it but I am lucky enough to have the original owner's manual and tried following that. Anyways, now when I go into 1st gear even if I let go of the clutch and don't give it any gas it's still idling. I tried adjusting the top adjuster, middle, and the lower one that goes into the engine(sorry for the non technical lingo). As far as I can tell the cable is going into the hole in the engine just fine and it looks like it's securley around the little ring. I have no idea what to do...if you have any ideas please help! It's up on the center stand right now too...I would assume that wouldn't affect it but who knows. Thanks in advance!

1978 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2009 20:34 #312815 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Tried to adjust the clutch on my 78 kz650...
Did you loosen the adjusters or make them tighter?

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
09 Aug 2009 20:37 - 09 Aug 2009 20:38 #312816 by Teh Nap
Replied by Teh Nap on topic Tried to adjust the clutch on my 78 kz650...
I'm not sure what I did the first time but I tried both...and to be honest I didn't and still don't know which way to turn the middle one. It seems like no matter what I do it's still getting power while it's in gear.

1978 KZ 650
Last edit: 09 Aug 2009 20:38 by Teh Nap.

More
09 Aug 2009 20:45 #312819 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Tried to adjust the clutch on my 78 kz650...
On mine, I started with all cable all loose. the top at the lever screwed all the way in,the center one all the way nut to nut and then Start with the one on the cover behind the two screws. loosen lock nut and use a flat blade screwdriver and turn out the screw a couple turns and then screw the screw in slowly until you met with resistance and then turn the other way about a quarter to a half turn. Next go to the center adjustment and turn the big nut to where it starts to tighten up the slack in the cable then lock it using the little nut. Now check your free play at the lever it should have 1/8 inch play or so before you feel resistance.Then you only have to adjust the thumb nuts at the lever to get proper play.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
09 Aug 2009 21:04 #312823 by Teh Nap
Replied by Teh Nap on topic Tried to adjust the clutch on my 78 kz650...
awesome...thanks man! I'll try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

1978 KZ 650