can't get idle post rebuild

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
08 Aug 2009 10:06 #312399 by IowaKZ
can't get idle post rebuild was created by IowaKZ
Well, if you read my other post, you know that I just got my bike together after the top end redo.

I get the bike to start now, but will not idle. I start adjusting the idle screw and then it takes off and revs to around 4k. I try to back it down with the idle and/or bliping the throttle, but it doesn't always back down, so i shut it down and adjust the throttle tension.

I am running the factory efi on my G1 and I had it all off the bike.

I am wondering if this sounds like somehting is gummed up and sticking from time to time? that's what it feels like. I took it off once and cleaned up the throttle body assy with carb cleaner, but I didnt take off the injectors.

Also, when I have my hand in underneath adjusting the idle set screw, I feel a few puffs of air every now and then while its running. I know that's not right, but I don't know if that is related to this or not. I feel it on the back of my hand which is facing the back of the engine. it might be the throttle bodies, the chain tensioner, or god forbid, the head itself. I don't think so because i don't have any oil running aroung.

Any thoughts on the idle problem. will not idle and then over revs.

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
08 Aug 2009 14:59 #312452 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic can't get idle post rebuild
It could be a vaccum leak, id check to see that all vaccum lines are where they should be and are in good condition.

also maybe its your carb boots that connect the carbs to the head, if you didnt replace them?
sometimes they will crack and make the bike run like shit via vaccum leakage.

Spray some carb cleaner on them when it is running and if the engine reacts from it it means you got a leak in your boot.

Hope this helps man, good luck!

Luke

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
08 Aug 2009 15:15 #312456 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic can't get idle post rebuild
thanks for the reply. My wife was watching the engine while I was messing with it and said she saw some fire shoot out between the throttle bodies and the injectors.

I took off the airbox and the throttle bodies and tightened them up. #3 was not as tight as it should have been. Then I replaced the throttle body and put everything back.

I got rid of the over reving part, but it still will not idle without a constant blip. I was messing with it a little more and the battery started to run down. So I came inside to cool off and charge it back up.

my biggest concern is that I have the cams off a tooth or two.

I might try spraying the carb cleaner, but I can't seem to even keep it running enough to grab a can to spray. I'll keep tinkering.

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa