Broken clutch cable

• EL Architecto
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Aug 2009 22:27 #311673 by EL Architecto
Broken clutch cable was created by EL Architecto
My clutch cable broke today. I've never had to replace it myself and I could use some pointers. It's a 78 kz650. What can I expect? How difficult is it? Help plz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2009 22:41 #311674 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Broken clutch cable
It's easy I just did it the other day. Take off the left foot peg the shifter and remove the cover the shifter goes through [4 bolts]. You should have a new little cotter pin but I've reused the old one any way remove the pic and spring and the cable should fall out. Just reverse what you just did to take it off.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
04 Aug 2009 23:00 - 04 Aug 2009 23:03 #311675 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Broken clutch cable
If its already broke no need to loosen any adjustments on the cable housing. If its like mine a 77 KZ650 its pretty easy. 6 bolts to remove . 1 on the left side foot peg 1 on the shift lever and 4 on the chain sprocket cover. There will be a lock nut on the cable half way up the outer casing of the cable clamped in between the first and second exhoust pipe on the frame.Loosen that nut and screw the long nut clockwise to loosen the cable.Then up on the clutch lever at the handle bars you will make sure the adjustment is all the way in and the notched thumb nuts line up to alow the cable housing to slide out.Once you have the cable housing pulled out of notches you will be able to slide the cable end out of the Lever. Now back at the engine the cover you take off slides straight out over the shift shaft then you flip over the cover and you will see the cable housing going through the cover with a spring with the cable end into a U-shaped lever hinged to the round concaved part( backside from the adjust ment cover on the outside with two screws.) You should see a small cotter pin through that U-shape bracket. That comes out and then you take out the end of the cable. Slide out the cable housing from the cover. REVERSE ORDER TO REPLACE then you will need to adjust your cable housing.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD
Last edit: 04 Aug 2009 23:03 by mzandmz.

More
05 Aug 2009 05:25 #311700 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Broken clutch cable
And install a new cotter pin. It's size is approx 1/16" x 1-1/4" or something thereabouts.

There will be a mess behind the clutch cover, so have some old rangs & solvent handy.

• EL Architecto
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Aug 2009 15:36 #311821 by EL Architecto
Replied by EL Architecto on topic Broken clutch cable
Will all the oil come out when I remove the clutch cover, or just a little?

More
05 Aug 2009 16:06 #311827 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Broken clutch cable
Make sure you are doing the correct cover. The clutch cover is on the right side of the engine where your kick starter is. *DON'T remove it*.
The cover to remove as mentioned is the left side cover behind your shift lever and no oil will drain. I'll give you my step by step as I have done this job before;) A few times. Start by leaning the motorcycle against a wall or something leaning it over to the right so better angle to work then:
1. Remove left peg with a 17mm socket.
2. Look at shifter shaft and see if it has a punch mark to reference so reassemble later positioned correctly. If not get a punch out and give it a mark. Not necessary, but makes assembly easier later.
3. Use a 10mm socket to remove the shift lever bolt. Remove the shifter by pulling straight off the shaft. If stuck, wedge a screwdriver to open up the shifter a little to loosen it on the shaft.
4. Remove the starter cover. (chrome cover on top of engine, 2 bolts with a 10mm socket.
5 Remove 4 bolts on the left cover with a 10mm socket. The cover will now pull off straight out.
6. Notice how the cable attaches to the clutch release and remove the cotter pin if present, spring, remove the old cable from the clutch release, note how it's routted, remove the cable from the lever.
7. Routt your new cable same as the old, have all adjustments at the lever and midway on the cable set to minimum.
8. Attach cable to clutch release using spring as was there before, throw away cotter pin if desired. No need for the POS.
9. Attach cable to lever.
10. Push cover back on engine and attach with a couple bolts. Adjust freeplay midway through the cable and at lever to get appropriate slack in cable and give it a try. Clutch feels good? Ressemble the remainder as before and you're all done. No need to fool with adjustment on engine *most likely* I still say.
11. Go riding and see if it works. Whole job takes 45 minutes.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.