KZ 750 twin valves

More
04 Aug 2009 07:14 - 04 Aug 2009 14:30 #311477 by 82_twin_KZ
KZ 750 twin valves was created by 82_twin_KZ
I just rebuilt the engine on my 82 kz750 csr. I need valve shims since i had a valve job done to it also. Does anyone know the diameter of these shims or does anyone where i can get them besides the Kawasaki dealer?
Last edit: 04 Aug 2009 14:30 by 82_twin_KZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2009 07:37 #311480 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ 750 twin valves
Those are extremely difficult to come by. I don't know of anyone who has a full selection. Most suppliers will have a few odds and ends, but most will be out of the range a stock motor will need. Since yours is a new rebuild, maybe the ones you need will be available.

The best place to get info on locating them is probably:
kz twin owners forum

More
04 Aug 2009 14:44 - 04 Aug 2009 14:57 #311540 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ 750 twin valves
82_twin_KZ wrote:

I just rebuilt the engine on my 82 kz750 csr. I need valve shims since i had a valve job done to it also. Does anyone know the diameter of these shims or does anyone where i can get them besides the Kawasaki dealer?

I know it's probably too late to suggest, but here's what I did when I had my 750 twin's head done:

Explain to the machinist doing the head that shims are impossible to get. He will measure the "finished valve end height" above the head precisely before he starts, and after he recuts the seats and turns the valve faces, he can shave the valve ends down to get the same finished height and let you use the same shim. Extra work for him, it will cost more.

If you need shims, Z1 Enterprises used to have a small quantity of four sizes. Ebay is the only other source and the shims are not cheap.

stores.shop.ebay.com/QUEENGS-BRITISH-BIT...+shims&submit=Search

Note: the 750 twins can only use the large 32 mm diameter shims. As noted above, most of the ones for sale are the useless sizes, ie the thicker end of range like 3mm and up. As heads get older and are cut more times, you need thinner shims, not thicker. Most of the time it's in the 2.50 - 2.80 range.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Aug 2009 14:57 by bountyhunter.