Shifting with clutch disassembled

More
03 Aug 2009 20:22 #311355 by Antron
Shifting with clutch disassembled was created by Antron
I recently bought my first bike, a 1979 KZ400-H. Among other problems, I noticed that the clutch does not disengage when the lever is pulled in all the way, and there is some difficulty shifting.

I spent a while adjusting the cable and the clutch release adjuster until I convinced myself that I could not set it so that the clutch would release completely when the lever was pulled in and engage completely (not slip) when the lever was out.

So, I decided to open the right engine cover and take a look at the clutch. Eventually, I took off the clutch assembly, primary chain, and primary sprocket and all of it looks fine.

I now have a question, however. Should I be able to shift gears with the clutch removed? I'd expect the answer to be yes, but the bike does not shift.

1979 KZ400-H (LTD)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2009 12:56 #311524 by Antron
Replied by Antron on topic Shifting with clutch disassembled
I just called a local bike service shop to ask. I didn't talk directly to a mechanic (understandably). The answer was no, I shouldn't be able to shift gears with the clutch off the bike. The reason they gave is that the drive shaft needs to be turned by the engine in order to make the change.

This answer makes no sense to me, since it is normally possible to shift when the bike is off, and you normally disengage the clutch to shift even when the engine is on.

There was an analogy to shifting on a bicycle (that you have to turn the wheel to do it), but this also makes no sense to me, because a bicycle has a derailleur and not a motorcycle gear box. And on a bicycle, you don't turn anything corresponding to a drive shaft to do it. You turn anything that will turn the chain. On a motorcycle in neutral, the drive shaft does not do that (right?).

Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

1979 KZ400-H (LTD)

More
04 Aug 2009 14:09 - 04 Aug 2009 14:10 #311534 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Shifting with clutch disassembled
Hello, Antron, and WELCOME to KZr! :)

We're glad you're here! :cheer:

Until moving forward, KZ shifts only between 1st and neutral. Can simulate such forward motion with bike on centerstand by spinning rear wheel.

Engine need not be running.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 Aug 2009 14:10 by Patton.

More
05 Aug 2009 12:29 #311778 by Antron
Replied by Antron on topic Shifting with clutch disassembled
Thanks for the welcome and for the info. I did get the bike to shift much easier by moving it. I don't know what those mechanics in the shop were thinking :)

1979 KZ400-H (LTD)